• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Power Lock Problem

cubg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:Looking for some help with my power locks.
For some reason, my locks are hard to use, and the problem gets worse the colder it gets to the point that they won't acutate elecrically at all. For example, when I hit the unclock button, the actuator engages, but is unable to unlock the locking mechanisim in one motion. I need to repeatedly hit the unlock button and this "nudges" the mechanisim until the door unlocks. This can be visually seen as the unlock knob on the top of the door slowly creeps up out of the door. If I use the key from outside, it is hard to turn the lock cylinder at times and hard to pull up the knob on the inside of the door. In the summer time when it is warm, the problem isn't near as bad. I am wondering if it is an issue of:
-needing something lubricated and what
-weak acutator motors -how to diagnose
-poor design

Has anyone else experienced this, and what have they done to fix the problem. I can remember when I first bought the truck, the power windows would barely go up and down. It was just a matter of greasing all of the moving components on the windows, and they were as good as new. I am hoping the problem is as easily fixed.
Thanks,
cubg1
cubg1@hotmail.com

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
get in there and check it out. thats the best way to fix a problem like this. sounds like that was what you did to fix your windows so just do it again.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Sounds like you just need to clean and lubricate all of the moving parts.

cubg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Yeah, I had tried to lubricate things once before, but I can go that route again. If anyone else has ran into this though, feel free to provide what you did to fix it. Part of me thinks there is a bigger issue since it is affected by the temperature - I know grease can thicken when it gets colder so who knows.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

TRS Events

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Rick W
October Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

25th Anniversary Sponsors

TRS-3 Ford Ranger Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals