PDA

View Full Version : Right side tires stick out farther than left?

badbronc92
11-11-2008, 10:37 PM
So i never noticed this until i had a buddy riding behind me and told me that at least the rear right tire sticks out at least an inch further than the left rear tire. Since i dont have the center caps on yet I looked at the hubs and the wheels were on exactly the same amount over the hub on all 4 wheels. I have a feelin the same might be for the front too because thats the only tire that rubs some. No matter what i do the left side doesnt rub at all. Any ideas? Seen this before?

4x4junkie
11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I would get out the tape measure and start measuring various places to see if the axles are centered under the frame, and if the body is centered on the frame. Has the truck ever been in an accident?

badbronc92
11-12-2008, 12:59 AM
I would get out the tape measure and start measuring various places to see if the axles are centered under the frame, and if the body is centered on the frame. Has the truck ever been in an accident?

nope no accidents, I'm wondering if it might be from the torsion lift and shackles? Idk with the stock tires and wheels it looked perfectly even but maybe it was just exaggerated with the new tires. I'll get up underneath and check it out tomorrow.

88BII
11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
check the B/S on the rims one side could have less back space making it stick out more.

fordboi415
11-12-2008, 01:18 PM
+1 on checking backspacing, do you have aftermarket rims?

badbronc92
11-13-2008, 12:03 PM
yeah I bought them from a guy who had them on his wrangler. That's hard to believe tho that one or two of them have a diff backspacing than the other two wouldn't you think?

BlackBII
11-13-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah I bought them from a guy who had them on his wrangler. That's hard to believe tho that one or two of them have a diff backspacing than the other two wouldn't you think?

I would think so as well..

Is the body bolted on slightly skewed?

Do the tires stick out more from the frame or the body?

OldJunk
11-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I see this all the time , dont think this is very uncommon. as for the cause???

therieldeal
11-13-2008, 07:24 PM

maybe he had a front pair and a rear pair with different offsets, and you just happed to put the sets side to side instead of front to back

fordboi415
11-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Switch them around and see if there's any difference

badbronc92
11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
yeah i think i'm gonna give that a try later today just to see, thanks for the info

Crunchy
11-14-2008, 11:24 AM
I say go to town with a measuring tape, keep measuring and you will figure it out eventually. No need to start swaping tires and everything else and you can measure with it on the ground.

badbronc92
11-14-2008, 09:17 PM
so its definitely not anything to do with the wheels. It looks alomst as if the axle is off-set just barely enough to make that 1 inch difference back there. Perhaps it was from the shackles? Idk, I think next week sometime I'll take a look at trying to reposition the rear axle to the left by about an inch and rebolt the u-bolts. Thoughts?

fordboi415
11-15-2008, 08:50 PM
take it to a bodyshop and see if they can check the angles on your frame to see if your truck chassis is scissored my dads 82 f150 truck dog tracked for a while about 22 years ago lmao and he noticed the wheels were sticking out farther on one side so he took it to a shop and they told him his frame was a few degrees off and thats was causing his problem

4x4junkie
11-15-2008, 09:31 PM
so its definitely not anything to do with the wheels. It looks alomst as if the axle is off-set just barely enough to make that 1 inch difference back there. Perhaps it was from the shackles? Idk, I think next week sometime I'll take a look at trying to reposition the rear axle to the left by about an inch and rebolt the u-bolts. Thoughts?

You won't be able to reposition it at the u-bolts, the axle is centered on the leaf perches with bolts that go through the leaf spring pack, although if one or both of those bolts is sheared, it could cause that problem (it would also be possible for the axle to move forward or backward in the wheelwell in this case too).

azhrei
11-15-2008, 10:14 PM
You won't be able to reposition it at the u-bolts, the axle is centered on the leaf perches with bolts that go through the leaf spring pack, although if one or both of those bolts is sheared, it could cause that problem (it would also be possible for the axle to move forward or backward in the wheelwell in this case too).

check the centering pins on the leafs I've had them break on the early bronco. was going down the road sideways... :-)

Evan
11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
My driver's side front tire sticks out an inch further than the passenger front tire in relation to my rear. I discovered this while doing an alignment. Never have been able to figure out why. Wheels are all the same, axles are not bent, damaged, etc. and the frame and body are straight.