PDA

View Full Version : Belt Squeal!!

bumbleb77
12-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I am a student mechanic. I just picked up a 2000 Ranger 3.0L 4x4 ext. cab with 118k. I have replaced the idler and tensioner pullies and the belt 3 weeks ago. The squeal has returned and does seem to be temperature sensative. It's -10 right now. It does get quieter above 0 and before the temp dropped it was just an intermitent chirp.

No belt dressing solutions or sprays. SOLID FIXES PLZ!!!:sad::sad:

Sick 99 Ranger
12-17-2008, 07:51 PM
whats up man. my 99 does da same thing. durin da summer. itz fine. but the winter time, everytime i start it. it stops when it warmz up. itz just a ford thing. my dads 98 f150 does it. nothins wrong. fords are just cold natured.

bumbleb77
12-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Do you mean engine warm up or temp warm up. Mine doesn't stop after the engine warms up. It's constant.

Bob Ayers
12-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Remove the belt to verify that's where the squeal is coming from. The camshaft position sensor synchronizer will start to squeal before it goes out.

bumbleb77
12-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I did read that. It did go away when I replaced the pullies and the belt.

I went downstairs (-5 deg) and pulled the belt, ran the engine, no noise. I checked the A/C, smooth. Checked the ALT, normal. The water pump/clutch fan as far a I can tell, OK. No play in the Crankshaft pulley. The P/S pulley had some movement. It seemed to move forward and back about 1/32-1/16". It's been a awhile since steering and suspention, but, is the P/S pulley supposed to have endplay??

Wicked_Sludge
12-17-2008, 11:14 PM
a little in and out movement is normal. what brand is your belt?

bumbleb77
12-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I work at a Goodyear tire dealer.....So a goodyear belt. I belive we get them from Napa.

Wicked_Sludge
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
napa usually uses gates belts and hoses. thats what ive got on my truck and it was never bothered by -10 degrees or more. never used goodyear so i cant say...but you might try a different brand and see if it changes/helps the situation.

Hypnotic Toast
12-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I have the same problem and after NUMEROUS posts and replacement parts, I believe mine is cause by my Tensioner pulley being misaligned. I doubt if you can find it now, but I posted a picture of it a while back and you can see that my belt runs on the far edge of it, likes it's about to slip off.

You might check the alignment of all your pulleys, that could be the culprit. Other than that, I know of many people that have a squeak, replaced everything, and it is still there. If you can't find it, prepare to have your windows up and your music loud at all times.

Wicked_Sludge
12-18-2008, 11:09 PM
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/Hypnotic_Toast/TensionPulley2-Crop.jpg

:icon_thumby:

fixizin
12-19-2008, 01:44 AM
So Hypno, WHAT caused that tensioner mis-alignment, and what was the fix?

Thanks in advance...

Hypnotic Toast
12-19-2008, 07:32 PM
My dad and I are still scratching our heads about how the pulley got like this. But like I've told people before, the person who had this before me DID NOT take care of it. I'm assuming that, because it's still the original Tensioner assembly, that it's just worn. It's been run on 140k+ miles.

When looking at my engine from the top, you can clearly see that my Tensioner pulley is sticking out like sore thumb.

thegoat4
12-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a squeal when cold. It's the alternator bearings. Goes away after a few seconds.

bumbleb77
12-20-2008, 09:03 PM
My instructor mentioned about the tensioner misalignment. IT WAS A MISPRINTED BELT!!! I went to work today. Did and oil change, and got another belt and measured. The belt on there was too long. Put the right one on and BOOM!!! No noise. :icon_bounceblue:

aridranger03
12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Does anybody know how to loosen the tension pulley on a 3.0 v6. My belt has a squeal and needs to be changed.

Thanks

fixizin
12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Does anybody know how to loosen the tension pulley on a 3.0 v6. My belt has a squeal and needs to be changed.

Thanks

You apply downward (clockwise) force to the nut that holds the pulley to the tensioner. They don't make it easy to get a ratchet+socket in there... a 15mm offset box-end wrench is just the ticket... yep, it's METRIC...( luckily the Angel of Dumb Luck followed me into Sears one day when a Craftsman five-wrench set was on big sale...)

Notice the WEAR BAND on the top of the fixed part of the tensioner, and the INDEX MARK on the moving arm of the tensioner. A new and properly sized belt should place the index at the far right end of the band... as belt ages and stretches, it'll move left.

McCormack
12-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Ranger 3.0 serpentine belt squeal is usually caused by an out-of-alignment belt tensioner, and the cure is to shim the tensioner assembly back into alignment. Some people buy new tensioners and after installing them the tensioner is once again lined up... but a new tensioner won't necessarily be in alignment, so after installing it put a straight edge on it and if it's out of alignment then it needs to be shimmed straight.

The main cause of 3.0 tensioners going out of alignment is that some 3.0 Rangers come from the factory with their serp belts set up way too tight (they're so tight that it literally takes two people to get a new replacement belt installed), and the excess belt tension pulls the tensioner out of alignment. On my Ranger I noticed that the idler and tensioner pulleys were two different sizes, so I went to the parts store and got a pulley to match the smaller one on the tensioner, and after swapping pulleys my serp belt now fits perfectly and doesn't put nearly as much strain on the tensioner, and I haven't had any more tensioner alignment issues.

TomB1269
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
FYI; If you remove the belt and still get a squeal this is a big, very big sign that you have a syncro shaft problem. The syncro will squeal more when cold, less warm, in cold weather it will stop squealing in stop and go bet the squeal will return when yoiu come to a stop after driving at highway speeds for 10 or 15 minutes. It will can also manifest as a mis-fire that starts at high rpms and comes down the rpm scale as the engine warms but does not throw an engine code. Bouhght my truck used with 64k August 06 changed belt and tried all tricks to find squeal, replaced plugs fall 07 and noticed a small very light miss that I pushed and it got worse until I tried all and then took to Ford, they ran TSB tests for syncro that counts EGR cycling.

fatboyf150
12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
im having the same problem with my 00 3.0 and my porblem seems to be worse when it rains or its real foggy outside. changed all the pullies and belt, just installed a new tensioner. what is this syncro shaft you are talking about? can i take a BFH to it? the squeal it getting on my nerves.

Wicked_Sludge
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
the syncro is on the back of the engine, towards the passanger side. it replaced a standard distributor.

you can take a BFH to it, but im quite sure that would be the end of your motor. hitting it with some spray lube would be more likely to help, but its a temporary fix and i'd still replace the syncro.

bumbleb77
01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
I Finally Found It Was The Tensioner!!!!

Hypnotic Toast
01-24-2009, 10:35 AM
im having the same problem with my 00 3.0 and my porblem seems to be worse when it rains or its real foggy outside. changed all the pullies and belt, just installed a new tensioner. what is this syncro shaft you are talking about? can i take a BFH to it? the squeal it getting on my nerves.

Mine did that too. It's either your Idler or Tensioner pulley/assembly. Can you describe the squeal? Does it sound like the belt is slipping or is a pulley?

Mine did it at first because before I replaced my Idler pulley, the factory one was still on there. The bearings were pretty much shot and it made a god-awful squeaking noise. Later on after replacing it is when my belt nightmare started and it turned out to be the Tensioner assembly.

Tell me, I know you said you replaced the Tensioner, but was it the pulley or whole assembly? And if so, then you might just try taking your belt off and rolling all your pulleys by hand to see if any make noise.

WNY964x4
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
yea , right now my truck has an intermittent squeal , it sounds like it comes from the back of the engine , and if i am accelerating when it starts i can let off the gas and it goes away , and i have not pinpointed the problem , and it is getting on my nerves

Hypnotic Toast
01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
yea , right now my truck has an intermittent squeal , it sounds like it comes from the back of the engine , and if i am accelerating when it starts i can let off the gas and it goes away , and i have not pinpointed the problem , and it is getting on my nerves

That sounds like your cam synchro. Have you started the truck without the belt on? If it squeaks, then that is most likely your problem.

WNY964x4
01-24-2009, 05:48 PM
well i am afraid of starting the truck without the belt on because as i said the squel is intermittent , and it happens when i am going down the road , and right now it is about 4 degrees out , so my battery would die in about 30 seconds , not enough time to run it enough to hear it

Wicked_Sludge
01-24-2009, 05:58 PM
you could pull the CMP and hose it down with spray lube and see if that changes anything.

WNY964x4
01-24-2009, 06:15 PM
ok , i will try that when i go back to class on monday , it is too cold out to try doin that yet . and is the cmp like a distributor in that it has to go back in the same position you pulled it out of ?

Wicked_Sludge
01-24-2009, 06:17 PM
yes, it has to go back in exactly the way it comes out.

WNY964x4
01-24-2009, 06:22 PM
okay , and will i possibly run into a problem ith the oil pump drive shaft , just tryin to cover all my bases here

Jetinspector
04-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Just a little info on the belt squeal. I replaced the tensioner and belt back in Dec. Of course I wasn't useing the air until now. When I punched it on wow what a noise. I open the hood and saw that the belt was jumping around the alternator pulley. I beat feet down to a Checker store where I had purchased the tensioner and belt. Both were Goodyears the belt being a gatorback. I replaced them on warrenty no help. It seems that the listing for the belt is wrong at checker for a 4.0 v6 with factory air. The belt called for is to long by 1/2 and inch. The tensioner was bottomed out with the belt listed. The 1/2 inch shorter belt set the tensioner at mid range and allowed it to work as it was supposed to. No more squeal and everything is working as it should.
The belt called out at Checker is a Gatorback #4060875. This is wrong. It should be a 4060868. Works for me.