PDA

View Full Version : Dual gas tank ranger?

link040188
04-03-2009, 07:35 PM
so i saw one two years ago at an auto shop i worked at back then the guy said it was a 1988 the spare was in the bed and it had two gas tanks with a switch in the cab to switch between the two tanks but i havent see one since does anyone know about this truck?

87Rangerdude
04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
my truck is/was a duel tank truck, there is a switch below the cigarette lighter to switch between tanks, i ripped the rear tank out due to the quarter sized holes in it.

jaymegriffiths
04-05-2009, 04:38 PM
my truck is/was a duel tank truck, there is a switch below the cigarette lighter to switch between tanks, i ripped the rear tank out due to the quarter sized holes in it.

Mine has duals too. Needs the switch though...

racsan
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
i think you could only get the twin tank option on gen 1 trucks, it did put the spare in the box, mounted to the drivers side ahead of the wheelwell. ive seen a few, i was told it wasnt a popular option because of the tire relocation, oddly enough thats the first thing ive done with all my trucks, i hate having the spare under the bed. its o.k. until you need it, then stuff is rusted fast, or full of frozen slush. imagine the cruising range you'd get with a 2.3 twin-tank!

simonsays
04-06-2009, 12:29 AM
i have one.. they are awesome.

simonsays
04-06-2009, 12:30 AM
imagine the cruising range you'd get with a 2.3 twin-tank!

an amazing range.. mine was a 2.3 5spd extra cab short bed

iamdigitalman
04-06-2009, 02:47 AM
i think you could only get the twin tank option on gen 1 trucks, it did put the spare in the box, mounted to the drivers side ahead of the wheelwell. ive seen a few, i was told it wasnt a popular option because of the tire relocation, oddly enough thats the first thing ive done with all my trucks, i hate having the spare under the bed. its o.k. until you need it, then stuff is rusted fast, or full of frozen slush. imagine the cruising range you'd get with a 2.3 twin-tank!

What do you mean by tire relocation? rear axel, or spare? Someone should take a ton of pics of this model, as I have not seen many of them. Only from the side with the tank filler doors.

simonsays
04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
the spare tire comes in the bed because the tank is where the spare tire went.

jaymegriffiths
04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
i think you could only get the twin tank option on gen 1 trucks

I have an 88 2 tank and i beleive it qualifies as 2nd gen right?

simonsays
04-13-2009, 10:41 PM
i thought 89 was the 2nd gen..

my 2 tank ranger is a 88 as well

racsan
04-14-2009, 01:48 AM
gen 1 was '83-'88, gen 2 '89-'92, gen 3 '93-'97. im not certian after that, its here somewher if you use search. i wouldnt want one newer than '97. i like my ohv,ttb and non-rack&pinion steering.

Z3CHYD
04-14-2009, 09:36 AM
my dad had an 83 2.3L carb'd, and it had dual tanks, he would only have to fill his tanks up every 4 weeks or so lol, back when he owned it, gas was also about a dollar a gallon.....back in 2000....ahh memories that little rust bucket ranger had the Sh** beat out of it but still ran like a top. That truck is what got me into rangers :D back when i was 10 lol

AllanD
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Mine has duals too. Needs the switch though...

The switch or the selector valve?

have spare tank selector switches I'm willing to part with,
I DO NOT part with selector valves.

I have dual tanks in my truck but it wasn't stock on my truck.

I'm not even running the original fuel tanks.
the original "main" tank on my supercab (a 1987) was a 14.5gallon tank, I through great effrt retrofitted forst a 17.0gallon tank from an '89 supercab into it then later a 22gallon tank from a '92.

when I was doing my 4.0 conversion I completely redid the entire fuel system and using a stock elector valve I added a behind the axle tank.

Though I had a rust free facotry aux tank the proper sender unit for it was apparrently made of unobtanium because I couldn't get one. so I improvised, after attempting and discarding the idea of a 23gallon bronco2 fuel tank I discovered the plastic 21gallon tank in the '90-95 F-350-/450 trucks would fit between the ranger frame rails, could be mounted lower and had a more conveniend filler tube location.

So I have a dual tank ranger with plastic tanks in both positions
with a combined capacity of 44gallons when topped up.

AD

AD

simonsays
04-17-2009, 10:02 PM

the original "main" tank on my supercab (a 1987) was a 14.5gallon tank, I through great effrt retrofitted forst a 17.0gallon tank from an '89 supercab into it then later a 22gallon tank from a '92.

when I was doing my 4.0 conversion I completely redid the entire fuel system and using a stock elector valve I added a behind the axle tank.

Though I had a rust free facotry aux tank the proper sender unit for it was apparrently made of unobtanium because I couldn't get one. so I improvised, after attempting and discarding the idea of a 23gallon bronco2 fuel tank I discovered the plastic 21gallon tank in the '90-95 F-350-/450 trucks would fit between the ranger frame rails, could be mounted lower and had a more conveniend filler tube location.

AD

AD

:bawling::bawling: i need the selector vavles

RangerMan64
04-18-2009, 04:07 PM

AD

AD

Yeah I think I need the selector valve as well, those things must go bad easily.

I have a question for you Allan, about a year ago I saw a red wire hanging down by the pedals, and was wondering if it may be from my selector switch. It was just a piece of wire and I pulled it out.

Also what years could I pull a selector valve from? My truck is an 88

silnthntr
04-21-2009, 12:51 AM
I have an 85' 2.8l v6 with dual tanks, it would have been easy to fill up when gas was a $1 or so, now its just filling up one tank.

link040188
04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
so does any one want to post some more pics of their rangers:D

AllanD
04-22-2009, 11:51 PM
IF you guys need selector valves they are available

Some late '80's early 90's Econolines with dual tanks used the same valve

on an '88? that gets tricky, because from what I've seen the '88 uses the
same valve mechanically, but the electrical connector on it is different.

The problems I've had with the valves are that they were either electrically dead
(the motor didn't work)
internal O-ring failure

OR the retainer that holds the three way valve assembly in the housing slips.

Mind you, I've dismantled my valves by taking a moto-tool to the
rivets and replaced the rivets with #6 Machine screws to facilitate
subsequent repairs.

on my own valve I'm using doubled up valve retainers, because
I'm not running the valve to switch the output of low pressure
in tan pumps to feed a frame mounted high pressure pump.

HOW the six port valve actually works...
Inside are TWO "three way" valves.
The valves are actuated by either pushing or pulling on the valve stems
The pushing and pulling is done by a single "Crossbar yoke" that is moved one way or the other by a motor driven leadscrew.

If you have or can get a dead valve I strongly recommend taking one apart, it's a fascinating bit of engineering....

I'm running high pressure pumps inside both tanks and I deleted
the frame mounted pump, so if I don't replace my fuel filter before
it gets clogged my valve will "sneeze" internal parts, usually either
the valve stem O-ring on the high pressure side, but I blew the valve
body retainer once before I switched to doubled up retainers...

EVENTUALLY I'm going to re-plumb things so that the valve
is only switching the return side of the fuel system.
I can do that by using a Tee fitting fed by a pair of check valves

Only one high pressure pump at a time is going to run...

The contacts inside the valve only actually switch which tank unit
fuel level sensor is connected to the guage, the power to the different
in-tank pumps is actually controlled by the tank switch.

As I've said before in other discussions on dual tanks the important thing is not making the pumps work, it's not making the guages work, it's not making the selector valve work.

THE thing is control of the low pressure return fuel...

Imagine driving with two full tanks and having the system directing the return fuel to the "other tank" that's already full..

In technical terms this is called an "uncommanded crossfeed."
and it's literally the most dangerous thing that can happen.

AD

racsan
04-23-2009, 01:43 AM
makes you miss the "old school" setup like in dads '74 3/4 ton with just the mechanical engine fuel pump. you had a valve on the floor to switch from front/rear tank and a dash switch to change the sending unit for the gas guage. i never considered the return aspect of efi systems, guess i wont be building my own anytime soon.

simonsays
04-23-2009, 10:49 AM
IF you guys need selector valves they are available

available... but EXPENSIVE!:bawling::bawling:

87Rangerdude
04-25-2009, 04:05 AM
ill take some detail pics of whats left of my duel tank setup when i get my cam back

leserz
05-15-2009, 12:31 AM
just bought a 83 ranger today 2.3 auto dual tanks i seen them and said to my self dual tanks???? on a 2.3 . i think only my front tank gas gauge works. i can switch to rear tank and it reads the same as front. not sure if it's the electric switch on dash is bad or the selector valve but for now the front tank works for me . not going to lose any sleep over it. was not sure what tank was working so i put $15.00 in front tank and $5.00 in the rear to find out . it was about on empty when i got it . just in case i have a full 2 gal gas can in the back. i used that gas can for my f150 the gauge did not work at all used that can a few times

Daily Driver
06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Just wanted to subscribe. I was looking to add a tank...

odie1969
06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I was thinking about doing a Dual tank ranger but I heard alot of issues with the swtichs going bad. So my thought was to place a second tank with a auxil. then when my reg tank was low I would flip the switch and watch the gas gauge fill and shut the switch off when full.

ryanford97
07-15-2009, 12:02 AM

AD

AD

Do you still have any of the switches?

longbedGTs
07-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Heres an 87 supercab dual tank Ranger I had. I believe the midship was 15 gal and the aux tank was 13. It was great on long trips! It had a 2.9 and 5speed.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/longbedGTs/E_87Rangersc295spd-1.jpg

Rifleman
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
about a year ago I saw a red wire hanging down by the pedals. It was just a piece of wire and I pulled it out.

Rule of thumb #1. Wires typically go somewhere. You should have traced what the other end connected to. It can be some work to do, but is typically worth it in the long run.

Shran
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
My 86 standard cab, long bed had dual tanks when I got it but I removed the saddle tank. All three fuel pumps were bad. I just bypassed the selector valve and all that crap.

F84R
07-18-2009, 04:01 AM
my 87 has dual tanks. 17 in front 13 in rear and if any of my sending units worked I would certainly use the rear tank. I replaced both front pumps and my switch and valve both work but I jut don't know how much gas is in them. I don't feel like dropping the tank again but if i do im gonna remove the bed. so much easier.

F84R
07-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Here is a link to the pics for my ranger. I just primed it so it is a lil tuf to see the tank doors. I took parts from my first ranger to make my second ranger better. http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww169/ddanj1/

AllanD
07-18-2009, 07:45 PM
my 87 has dual tanks. 17 in front 13 in rear and if any of my sending units worked I would certainly use the rear tank. I replaced both front pumps and my switch and valve both work but I jut don't know how much gas is in them. I don't feel like dropping the tank again but if i do im gonna remove the bed. so much easier.

You just don't get the idea of dual tanks...

If they both work who cares if the guages don't work?

Just make sure you have SOME fuel in the "other" tank whichever you are running on for when the tank you are running goes dry.

I don't trust either of my guages, I just run one tank until the CEL comes on
(or the engine goes flat) flip the switch and keep motoring
but at my very next opportunity I put SOME gas in the "other" tank

AD

Beanmachine7000
07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
You just don't get the idea of dual tanks...

If they both work who cares if the guages don't work?

Just make sure you have SOME fuel in the "other" tank whichever you are running on for when the tank you are running goes dry.

I don't trust either of my guages, I just run one tank until the CEL comes on
(or the engine goes flat) flip the switch and keep motoring
but at my very next opportunity I put SOME gas in the "other" tank

AD

Like a reserve tank on a motorbike...

AllanD
09-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Like a reserve tank on a motorbike...

Exactly.

but since neither of my tanks is the original tank...

I have a Gen3 supercab tank in the front and an F-350Dually tank in the back.

The smaller of the two is the rear and that one
holds 21.55gallons (topped up)
the front one holds about 3gallons more.

Considering that the factory tanks were 14.5(F) and 13.0(R)
it was worth the work.

We won't discuss my 40gallon tank in the bed:)

Yeah, when you start to add it up...

AD

Dusty_Ranger
09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
my old 88 had dual tanks still got the selector switch

simonsays
09-07-2009, 11:53 PM
i just picked up a brand new selector switch from ford to get my dual tanks working again.. they are not cheap :bawling:

Dakota83
09-08-2009, 01:26 AM
i bought an 83 ranger a month ago that had two tanks stock but the lady i bought it from took the second one out for some reason..so ill have to find one at the junk yard.

jaymegriffiths
09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah I think I need the selector valve as well, those things must go bad easily.

I have a question for you Allan, about a year ago I saw a red wire hanging down by the pedals, and was wondering if it may be from my selector switch. It was just a piece of wire and I pulled it out.

Also what years could I pull a selector valve from? My truck is an 88

the selector valve which i need is 169.99 at 30% off local parts store(cheapest) and im not lookin forward to changin it. the reason they go bad is because people use 1 tank only, so the selecter eventually seizes up and soemtimes beating it with a hammer un-sticks it. i've heard this works. mine is getting power, but makes no noise so...

simonsays
09-12-2009, 05:28 PM
i think i have my old stock tank at my place if u dont mind making a drive up at santa barbara.. i took my tanks out and replaced them with fuel cells.

4square
09-13-2009, 03:25 PM
i remeber old IH Scouts had dual tanks and a manual selector down on the floor next to the drivers seat. there was a toggle switch on the dash that switched the gauge between the tanks. really wouldn't need the dual gauges if you just keep gas in them both and keep using from both as stated before.

AllanD
09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Doable? Definatly.

Doable with the skill set you posess? we have no way of knowing.

It isn't just mounting the second tank (fabrication)
The filler door in the bed side (Body work)
Fuel lines (Plumbing)
power and guage wiring (Electrical)
and proper switch function (Relay logic electronics)

But through all that ther is THE most important function
of all: Positive control of the return fuel

Technically it's easier to have a second tank and a transfer
pump to pump from the Aux tank to the "primary" tank where
the pump in that tank then pumps to the engine, but even that
has technical challenges... like the addition of a "Balance/return"
line in the main tank to prevent overfilling it during transfer operation

In my homebrew (sorta) system I use features of the original 1983-88
Ranger system (the six port selector valve) and of the 1992-96 F-series

I'm using high pressure in-tank pumps with supplemental outflow check valves
(retrofitted to all '92-97 F-series as part of a recall program)
and my six port selector valve is really only controlling the return fuel
and switching the guages.

my "third" fuel tank uses a medium pressure pump (with it's internal check
valve removed) and feeds fuel to the return line system before the
selector valve.
The "Non-positive displacement" pump is only used to establish a syphon
and it's actually the flow of fuel through the return line that draws fuel
from my Aux.

Positive control of the AUX is accomplished by an inline ball valve
that must be manually opened AND a solenoid valve that only
allows transfer while the valve is powered.

I go to this length because much of the third "aux" tank is actually
significantly above the level of the filler for either of the frame
mounted tanks.

AD

bullitproofranger
12-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Why not swap the dual tank system over from a late 70's to 97 f-series truck, 95% of those trucks I see have dual tanks.

simonsays
12-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Why not swap the dual tank system over from a late 70's to 97 f-series truck, 95% of those trucks I see have dual tanks.

becaues they didnt have return lines on any of the 70s f series.. the carbureted motors and injected motors have completly different types of fuel systems.

AllanD
12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
The EFI F-series starting in '87 or so used a setup with a high pressure pump on the frame rail (like '86-88 Rangers and BII's) and low pressure lift pumps in the tanks.

The switch on the dash switched BOTH the fuel senders and the in tank pumps.

There was a frame mounted selector valve which is a "passive device" in that there was a diaphram that actuated the valve so that only the return path to the running pump was open (I've written enough on the utter disaster that uncommanded crossfeeding can cause to refrain from doing so again)

The rub is that with age the diaphram fails and leaks and you lose pressure feed
to the engine as the pressure feed leaks into the opposite tank through reverse
flowing up the unpowered tanks pressure line (the check valves built into the
pumps only rarely work correctly)

Just as common the diaphram fails and the return valve simply fails to function...

Using this valve on a ranger isn't possible, (even if you had a truckload of them)
because it's bulk won't allow it to fit inside the ranger frame rails.

The later F-series trucks ('91-96) had a different system
They use a "Cannister" inside each tank and the pressure pump
in the tank opens a valve that allows return fuel to flow into the tank...
Theoretically anyway...

The problems there is that the pressure activated valve sometimes fails to function
(won't open)

The fuel line setup is simple in that the lines are simply tee'd together.

The OTHER problem with the late fuel system is that the pump check valves
(redesigned) still aren't reliable. so again you can get reverse flow
back through the check valve into the opposite tank.
But on this later system there is another "recall valve" that is
installed external to the tank unit...

The Ranger system is essentially the same as the dual tank
system used on '86-90 Econolines

The system I use is "a bit of this, a bit of that"...
I'm running a cannister pump in the rear tank
and a stock 1994 pump unit in the front
I have a six port Ranger Selector valve, but one side of the high pressure
valve leaks pressure fuel from the front tank into the pressure
line to the rear tank, though this is irrelevant because the check valve in the cannister (recently replaced) works, the newly installed fuel pump (installed sunday)
has a functioning check valve in it and the tank unit has an external "Recall" check valve on it as well.

IF you want to be paranoid about anything the first thing to be paranoid
about is the components of your high pressure fuel system.

Yeah, I could fix the faulty O-ring in the feed side valve in my selector valve
but should I dismount and disassemble the valve I'm more likely to remove
Those O-rings because the feed selection is actually done by power selection
to the high pressure in-tank pumps.

AD

Flash Gordan
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
What about installing a low pressure in tank pump to feed the main tank from the auxiliary tank and install a separate return line in case of overfilling the main tank? Would something like that work? I would like to install a auxiliary tank but I want to keep the connections simple. I subscribe to the KISS principle.

AllanD
12-17-2009, 03:47 PM
You'd be more likely to pop the vent cab and be steaming fuel out
the filler door and down the side of the truck... frankly I've "been
there and done that" and I'd recommend against it...

Failing that you'd blow the entire evaporative emmissions
system full of liquid fuel...

My tanks are joined by a common 3/8" line from the vapor vent assemblies
and those valve seal themselves up when the liquid gets up that far.

Because inside the vent assembly is a spring assisted float discriminator valve
that prevents liquid fuel from passing.

How large an AUX tank are you adding?

You'd be safe if your AUX is smaller than the main tank... Mine isn't.
Infact my in-bed AUX is nearly as large as the main and Aux tank combined...

My in-bed aux is currently disconnected because I have to re-work several
connections.

The "engineering" process is ongoing.

AD

maritimeranger
12-22-2009, 07:09 PM
I heard that 2 gas tank rangers has rear posi's in them is it true? my dads used to have one, a 1984 with a 2.8L 5spd

AllanD
01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I heard that 2 gas tank rangers has rear posi's in them is it true? my dads used to have one, a 1984 with a 2.8L 5spd

Not necissarily, but if you consider that the dual tank option was a fairly expensive option the additional cost of an optional limited slip rear axle
wasn't really a huge leap in price.

AD

basketranger
01-05-2010, 09:31 PM
hey, Allen D did you put a sway bar and the leafs from that f-350 also in the Ranger. WOW

AllanD
01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
The rear swaybar I run is from a 2wd Bronco2
IT's the thickest rear bar ever factory fitted to a
Ranger/Bronco2 from the factory.

when I eventually go to an Explorer axle I'll use the rear sway bar
from a 1993-94 F-150 Lightning, because when loaded with coal
(in addition to the fuel) the 1" rear bar I run now feels a little "mushy"

Do remember that with all that fuel the truck "Sticks" real well, the
issues with the heavy sway bar arise when I'm running with less than
a half load of fuel.

a full load of fuel is only 490lbs.

So, yeah, there are "handling differences" with major changes in fuel load.

AD

nrthski87
08-15-2010, 10:48 PM
i pick up a dual tank 88 at a local scrap yard a week ago its only trouble was with fuel it seems to need a selector valve. anyone know where to find one?