• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd into a 4wd . . . not sure how to start . .

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 ext cab ranger (5-speed, 2wd, 2.9L) would like to make it 4wd. I am doing this on the cheap and wondering where to start. Could I use a donor 4wd from '88-'90 and swap the guts ? Any thoughts/ideas/wisdom is great !

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Using the 4WD frame is the best option as a 2WD to 4WD swap consists of removing the engine, removing the crossmember, and replacing it with the 4WD one... In all honesty, it will be 3x more expensive and 50x harder to do a 4WD swap instead of buying a 4WD... OTOH, doing a solid axle 4WD conversion is MUCH easier...

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Easiest and Cheapest is indeed the frame swap. SAS (solid axle swap) would be the next.

REplacing the cross member is a major operation. Welds, rivets... you also have to spread the rails apart to get the new crossmember in and make sure everything is lined up, straight and welded appropriately afterwards. Not to mention changing out the tranny and even more stuff.

thedave

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
easiest and cheapest is to sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd, especially if you are trying to go on a budget.

Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure but anything else is going to be very intensive in both time and money.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
so when you swap cross members are the rivets in the 4wd in the same spot as the 2wd or are the rivet holes way off? this is something ive thought about alot because i would like 4wd and if its as easy as getting another parts truck with 4x4 i might just start another project. getting a 4wd would be easier, but i dont know the overall condition of the 4x4 where as i do know how my 2wd has been cared for.

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I am partial to this truck as it was my dad's and it has a lot of good memories wrapped up in it, so want to make it more interesting . . . useful etc . . .Thanks for the thoughts and input !

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
I am in the final stages of doing this swap. It is a lot of work but very doable if you have the time and a well equiped garage. My two sons and I have taken about 3 weeks of evenings and weekends to do this. The frame parts will swap right over AFTER you grind out all the rivets and strip both trucks right down to bare frame rails. We did a lift kit at the same time and we pretty well rebuilt everything as we went. Right now we are waiting on one front axle stub shaft and eed to rebleed the brakes. Then she should be on the road.

Make sure your up for a big job cause once you commit and start cutting rivets you are pretty well committed. :icon_thumby:

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
When you say down to the bare frame . . . are you referring to engine bay only or a take the body off etc, etc, ?? But it does sound encouraging . . .!!!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When you say down to the bare frame . . . are you referring to engine bay only or a take the body off etc, etc, ?? But it does sound encouraging . . .!!!
In order to get the new crossmember in, you need to spread the frame rails wide enough. I'd imagine at least the cab and all the front mounts would need to come off, it might be ok with the bed on.

It can certainly be done, I'm going the new crossmember route with my swap as well. It's just a real pain in the ass way to get 4wd :icon_cheers:.

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If one has to spread the frame rails in front, how does that affect the cab bolting back into place ? How much wider is the 4wd crossmember ? I have found a 1989 ranger ext cab 4wd would that work ???? Thanks !!!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If one has to spread the frame rails in front, how does that affect the cab bolting back into place ? How much wider is the 4wd crossmember ? I have found a 1989 ranger ext cab 4wd would that work ???? Thanks !!!
The very front of the Ranger's frame rails are boxed. So you have to spread them in order for them to be wide enough to slide the new 4wd crossmember in (technically the old one can be chopped in half if desired, and then removed) then bring the rails back together - It'll end up the same width as before. Then replace the rivets with bolts and weld approximately where the old welds were. (checking to make sure your frame is still square as you've removed a major stabilizing piece from the frame and jostled it around)

It's not actually any wider than the 2wd one.

That bracket will be fine. I don't think there is any difference in engine cradle brackets for any TTB Ranger, but those are from the same generation of Ranger (Gen II ; '89-'92) and will fit perfectly without any doubt.

Last edited:

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ohh . . . okay . . . very nice to know !!! What does TTB mean ? :icon_confused:

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I will post pics when I dive in to it:icon_welder: so you all can keep track of the progress . . . but it will take some time to rustle the gear together to tackle it !

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ohh . . . okay . . . very nice to know !!! What does TTB mean ? :icon_confused:
Twin Traction Beam, Ford's (in)famous style of front suspension. It particularly refers to the 4wd version. The 2wd version is the TIB or "Twin I Beam" (as there is no differential or power being sent to the wheels). Opinions vary on how good it is, but Ford used it for a whole lotta years on quite a few vehicles. You will become quite familiar with their operation and setup once you do the swap. Some have their differences with it and complain about them never working right, mostly because they have it set up wrong.

You'll get through it! :icon_welder:

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ahhhemmmm . . . ummmm what do you refer to when you say "set up wrong" . . . it sounds very scary to this newbie !!!!:bawling:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals