PDA

View Full Version : Anti Theft on 99 Windstar is engaged how do I disable/reset?

red85
01-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I put a remote starter in a 99 Windstar for a friend and now the Anti Theft is engaged. No matter what I do, the anti theft light blinks rapidly with the key in start. I found out after the fact that the key blank I was given for the bypass was not programmed. I tested the remote start with the regular ignitition key in the bypass module and all was well. when I put the blank in the module everything went into anti theft mode. Is there any way to reset the system or am I having the van towed to Ford? BTW I install these things regularly (about 7-8 every week) and I have never had this happen before.

RobbieD
01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not very familiar with one that new, but it seems that using the original (programmed in) key to start the van should put the security system back to normal. Then you need to have the new (bypass) key programmed in before trying to use the remote start again. Hope that helps, and good luck with it.

red85
01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Nope. No dice on that one. I tried it and antitheft was still active. Called Ford and they took responsibility for not telling my friend's wife that she needed to have the key programmed. They gave her a rental car, paid for the tow and are resetting the anti theft for free. It was nice not to have a consumer horror story. Great service!

RobbieD
01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow; that is great service. I'm glad that it turned out well.

srteach
01-12-2008, 05:44 PM
It is possible to program a third key on the 99 ford vehicles. You must have two keys programmed into the vehicle. The third key then has to be placed into the remote start system, usually in a box that is part of the system. The third key then authorizes the engine to start without a key in the ignition. The programming procedure is in the owners manual.

red85
01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I got this info from the12volt.com . Open the driver's door put the key to "run" and walk away for 15 minutes. Apparently the antitheft can learn the key's resistance this way. Oh well. I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens again. Thought that one was pretty cool and sharing tech is always good :)