• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would have gone that route, but this was the only offering I could find from them for my rig.
Yeah, I think that's all they offered in a kit for mine too but I found the two part numbers sold separate that worked for what I needed... don't know if there's a setup for the 4L flywheel like there is for the smaller one...

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Last week I noticed a weird rubbing noise coming from the back of the truck. I thought it was just due to bushings making noise in damp weather. I also noticed what appeared to be one of the wheels slipping with a slight knock when taking off from a stop, It occurred to me that both problems started at around the same time. Another oddity was it one tire appeared to break traction on wet pavement if I got on the gas too hard. I though it might be the slip yoke binding. So, after work today I rocked the bed of the truck a bit to see if I could duplicate the noise. I then went under the truck to continue tracking down the squeek and heard that knock, which came from the shock absorber, which was missing a bolt, which I used a bit of locktite on when I installed them. I then went to the other rear shock to pull out the bolt so I could find or buy a matching bolt. However, that bolt was missing too.

I realize fasteners come loose. But, they have been on there for five years. Why would BOTH of them come loose and go missing at the same time? It's hard to tell, but it appears as if the dirt on one of the shocks has been disturbed. As it someone grabbed it to pull themselves under the truck. I know this sounds a bit out there, but do you think someone could have taken them out?

Rick W

Rusty Oleum
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Do do do do, do do do do….

Twilight zone stuff. If it was me, I would’ve just cut your brake lines. Anybody you pissed off lately?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I've had clutch shudder since I installed the new Centerforce clutch with the new engine 5k miles ago. I have no time to pull the tranny and check, so I bit the bullet and took it to my mechanic to have them check it out. I have a feeling in installed the friction disc backwards. Since it is a dual material clutch, there is a right and wrong way. :confused:

View attachment 104914

My experience with fancy clutches like that is that they love to chatter.. I had a cerametallic clutch in my old outback and It definitely preffered to be worked 100% different than an organic disc.

Rick W

Rusty Oleum
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
My experience with fancy clutches like that is that they love to chatter.. I had a cerametallic clutch in my old outback and It definitely preffered to be worked 100% different than an organic disc.
I put a stage 3 clutch kit in the Road Ranger 4.0 with matching pressure plate and flywheel. It is infinitely tighter, quicker/higher grabbing then the original clutch or any clutch I’ve ever had any vehicle. I think one TRS member called it a puck clutch. Is that what you have?

Mine does not slip or chatter, it actually grabs more like an “on off”switch as someone commented. It has a very heavy pedal, and it really took some getting used to, but after I did, I love it. When I’ve got that big trailer on it with something on the trailer, it doesn’t slip at all, but still let’s you drive normally.
IMG_1057.jpeg

hope it helps

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I put a stage 3 clutch kit in the Road Ranger 4.0 with matching pressure plate and flywheel. It is infinitely tighter, quicker/higher grabbing then the original clutch or any clutch I’ve ever had any vehicle. I think one TRS member called it a puck clutch. Is that what you have?

Mine does not slip or chatter, it actually grabs more like an “on off”switch as someone commented. It has a very heavy pedal, and it really took some getting used to, but after I did, I love it. When I’ve got that big trailer on it with something on the trailer, it doesn’t slip at all, but still let’s you drive normally.
View attachment 105117

hope it helps
I did a quick Google and tried to find what I had in the thing with no luck.. but if my memory serves it was a 'segmented' disc.. full circle shape. Glad I didn't go full ham and get the stg3 puck setup.. the plate on the stage 2 was more than stiff enough for my liking, and already overkill. With as much as I stalled it in the couple weeks after install someone would of thought I'd never driven a manual before lol.

Rick W

Rusty Oleum
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I did a quick Google and tried to find what I had in the thing with no luck.. but if my memory serves it was a 'segmented' disc.. full circle shape. Glad I didn't go full ham and get the stg3 puck setup.. the plate on the stage 2 was more than stiff enough for my liking, and already overkill. With as much as I stalled it in the couple weeks after install someone would of thought I'd never driven a manual before lol.
Amen, that was my experience. “Look at the newbie in that nice truck, doesn’t know how to drive it!“

I’m glad I looked back at my purchase. I’ve been saying all along that it was a stage two, but it’s actually a stage three. After I got used to it, other than greatly increased pressure on my old feeble leg, it performs very well. And I did get what I want, because my main interest was for when I was pulling that long trailer. A regular clutch would be slipping too much and burn up prematurely.

All I had to do is update my dental plan to fix my teeth after they bounce off the steering wheel when I shift gears.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Last week I noticed a weird rubbing noise coming from the back of the truck. I thought it was just due to bushings making noise in damp weather. I also noticed what appeared to be one of the wheels slipping with a slight knock when taking off from a stop, It occurred to me that both problems started at around the same time. Another oddity was it one tire appeared to break traction on wet pavement if I got on the gas too hard. I though it might be the slip yoke binding. So, after work today I rocked the bed of the truck a bit to see if I could duplicate the noise. I then went under the truck to continue tracking down the squeek and heard that knock, which came from the shock absorber, which was missing a bolt, which I used a bit of locktite on when I installed them. I then went to the other rear shock to pull out the bolt so I could find or buy a matching bolt. However, that bolt was missing too.

I realize fasteners come loose. But, they have been on there for five years. Why would BOTH of them come loose and go missing at the same time? It's hard to tell, but it appears as if the dirt on one of the shocks has been disturbed. As it someone grabbed it to pull themselves under the truck. I know this sounds a bit out there, but do you think someone could have taken them out?
Both bolts disappearing so suddenly makes me think someone removed them.

When I lived in the boonies, sometimes we had problems with people messing with our stuff. My stepfather had a '72 F-100. We noticed a bearing racket from the right front one day, so I took a look. When I pulled off the grease cap, water came out. The problem was that there had been little rain and the truck had not been through water. We concluded someone had pulled off the grease cap and used our garden hose to spray water on the bearings, which turned out to be corroded but had not been for long. I installed and packed new bearings and didn't have any more problems.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The fancier the clutch the more they chatter in my experience too, the one I got for my F350 makes a racket sitting idle stopped...

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Drove Strangler to dinner tonight. We're having downpours. Hit the wipers and turned them on high. It sounded like a midget in my cowl beating everything with a hammer. It's time to rebuild the wiper system. Anyone did that job on a 98+ Ranger? Didn't find anything on the youtubes.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m gonna have to go look for the box the clutch came in that I put in my F-150 now with all this talk. I’ve been saying I put a Stage 2 clutch in it, but now I’m not sure if it’s a 2 or a 3. I do know that when I put it in with the neighbors house and went to back it out of his garage I very clearly heard the clutch go ssssccccchhhhik. Never actually heard a clutch grab like that and still can hear it years later. It grabs HARD. Hard enough to break things. Which I have. Usually it’s U-joints that it rips apart dumping that 300-6 raw torque through things. Sometimes it’s motor mounts. Whatever weak link it can find, really. I love it. It’s not, at all, novice friendly. I’m fine with that.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
It's not what I did, but what I'd like to do as soon as I get the advice of the fine folks here. '86 2.9 that bucks and jerks with misfires if you try to run out the gears. Basically at about 2k rpm it will start this and the only way to stop it is to let off the throttle. Conversely, if you ease into it and shift normally, it runs smooth with no issues. If you keep it under a bit of a load, it doesn't do it. Is this fuel pressure or something with the ignition system? It's also a B-II, not technically a Ranger.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's not what I did, but what I'd like to do as soon as I get the advice of the fine folks here. '86 2.9 that bucks and jerks with misfires if you try to run out the gears. Basically at about 2k rpm it will start this and the only way to stop it is to let off the throttle. Conversely, if you ease into it and shift normally, it runs smooth with no issues. If you keep it under a bit of a load, it doesn't do it. Is this fuel pressure or something with the ignition system? It's also a B-II, not technically a Ranger.
I would certainly start with fuel pressure. Also ensure the regulator is operating correctly. Because it happen under heavy load... the regulator is suspect.

If all good there... check timing first. Then ensure it doesn't have goofy none OE spark plugs. Then I would go through the secondary ignition components.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Pulled the dent out on the bed of the 2011. I just grabbed the antenna mount and pulled. It popped right out and doesn't even look like it was ever pushed in. I still need to order a new tail light housing.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got the Ranger from the body shop on Friday (sorry for posting late). The lower valance that contains the driving lights was painted flat black as promised, and the truck looks really good without the faded gray plastic in front. I'll see what I can do to post pics.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals