• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by beerhunter

1. '86 2.9 manual trans 4wd: occasional no reaction from throttle when pulling away

Hiya, I hope all members are doing good. Firstly, the truck idles fine, and generally drives fine. However a couple of times recently, when going to pull away (i.e. vehicle standing at idle), there has been no response when the throttle is pressed. The engine didn't die, it just didn't respond...
  2. Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I found a couple for sale, but the sellers seemed to have confused the price with their phone number... I have started adapting my a/c box as I have now ripped out the condenser and evaporator. Not sure if it was due to the fire damage but there was no gas in it...
  3. Has anybody put a line lock in their ranger?

Glad it's not just me then!
  4. Has anybody put a line lock in their ranger?

Interesting thread. Here in the UK, pretty much ALL cars and pickups have a hand lever-operated parking brake (with very few having a pull-type on the dash). The US system of a 4th pedal in a manual is extremely unusual. As I have been driving UK manuals all my life, the 4th pedal is very odd...
  5. Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

The box is off! Finally!! Do you mean I can remove the entire A/C system from the vehicle, without opening it? Or simply remove the housing? I can see how most will come away, but I suspect the condensor would be awkward. Now it's exposed, I can see the evaporator is rather melted, so it would...
  6. Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

Thanks for that. The pics are very useful. You mention a bolt from the inside - does that hold the whole condenser case to the firewall? Or does it retain the right-hand (if stood looking under the hood) piece of casing? I was working solely under the hood.it seemed like it was ready to come...
  7. Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

OK, so... Good news is it was just leaf litter scorching on the resistor. There was loads of charred gubbins that started dropping out when I started disturbing the plastic casing. The bad news... D@MN it's tight under there! Mine has A/C and all the associated stuff for that means I can't...
  8. Brake shoes absorbing moisture - which brand to go for/avoid for replacement?

Hiya - definitely will do. Sorry, wasn't ignoring the advice in your earlier post. Thanks
  9. Brake shoes absorbing moisture - which brand to go for/avoid for replacement?

Hi, Usage varies, it can be day to day, then it may sit for a week. I initially blamed the parking brake, but it appears to be working fine. This issue only occurs in the wet, and, and so happened occasionally over the summer. But now it's winter, it's every time I go to drive - hence...
  10. Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

Hi, thanks all for the replies. Yes, that it the little b... monkey that caused the trouble. Assuming it's not raining at lunchtime I will get outside and start pulling bits off... RockAuto list both the reistor and its plug, so I just need to see if anythign else needs replacing too. Thanks again
  11. Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

Thanks - I was assuming worst-case scenario that the core may be damaged too.
  12. Brake shoes absorbing moisture - which brand to go for/avoid for replacement?

Hiya The rear brakes on my 1986 2.9 4wd stick after cold and wet weather, but only just at the beginning of a journey. Within minutes they are fine. I have read about the shoes absorbing moisture, causing them to stick. I therefore intend to replace the shoes, but are there any brands to go...
  13. Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

Hiya So..... I was merrily driving along the motorway, when I smell burning - and then BILLOWS of smoke come through the air vents. I pulled over and ripped the connector off the resistor (it had already started to fuse itself together), and luckily it didn't get any further than that. I have...
  14. 1986 2.9 5spd manual stiff to shift in to 2nd when cold

Sorry, I was being silly. But they do seem to be longer than necessary, in all the various trucks I have owned.
  15. 1986 2.9 5spd manual stiff to shift in to 2nd when cold

Thanks for the reply. The stick is a bit sloppy, but that may just be because it's approx 6 feet long! Seriously, why are they always so long in trucks/4x4s??? However, I have arms like a monkey, so perhaps I should just shut up. I'll look in to the shifter bushing. If not, I'll start saving...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad