• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by camper4lyfe

1. Bad alternator?

Here's a strange one for you, folks. I've been on vacation for the past 2 weeks, so my truck's been sitting for somewhere between 2.5 and 3 weeks (the wife and I commute together in her car for the gas mileage). I went to run out to grab some grub tonight in the truck (03 FX4), and when I...
  2. Caliper Bracket Bolt

I've got an 03 FX4 and it's about due for a brake job. My problem, while replacing the driver's side CV shaft, one of the bracket bolts got buggered up (I latched onto the wrong bolt, but that's a different story). The head is pretty well rounded off and will most likely need some torching to...
  3. Volt Meter?

So what exactly IS the volt meter gauge showing me? I've noticed recently that it fluctuates a lot, especially once my truck warms up, and the idle drops. I've got an 03 FX4 with the 4.0L 6. I tested the battery this morning before I started it, and it showed 12.2V. When I started it, the...
  4. Transmission sticking?

Truck: 03 FX4, 4.0L with an auto tranny. ~97,000 miles. So I'm having all sorts of issues with my truck, and I think it's all pointing toward the transmission. It started with me noticing what I thought was a hiccup/stumble. It felt as though the truck was kicked in the back end. It ranged...
  5. It never ends

I got almost home tonight and was stopped at a light. It felt as though the engine was surging, and the rpm's were fluctuating a little bit. When I got home, I played around a little bit while sitting still. While in gear (any gear), the rpm's seemed fine. As soon as I dropped it into...
  6. Steering Wheel Controls

This morning on my way into work, I went to push the "on" button for my cruise control, and the whole switch housing dropped away from the steering wheel. It didn't come completely off, but it's close enough to off. Does anyone know how this is actually attached to the steering wheel? I plan...
  7. Steering "hitch"

On Saturday, I replaced the plugs and wires on my 03 FX4 (4.0L V6). While I was trying to figure out how to get to the passenger side plugs, I turned the wheels back and forth with the engine off. Now, while I'm driving, I can feel a bit of a "hitch" in the steering, around the "center" of the...
  8. Hiccup/Stumble

I've got an 03 FX4 (with the 4.0, obviously) that's developed something along the lines of a hiccup or stumble. I've got a touch over 96,000 miles on it, and most likely the original plugs. I'm noticing this lurching sensation when I'm at a steady speed, as if the back end hit a bump. I've...
  9. Tranny Cooler Leak

I've got an 03 FX4 (4.0L V6, Auto) that's got a tranny cooler leak. It's either the line between the external cooler and the radiator cooler, or the cooler inside the radiator. From the searches that I've done, there IS a cooler inside the radiator, correct? When I look through the tow hook...
  10. Front End Drivetrain Noise

I own an 03 Ranger, FX4 Level II, 4.0L V6, 4WD. On my way home tonight, my truck started making a horrendous noise. It sounded like a combination of a squeak and a grinding, and I could feel it through the floor boards. I slowed down and tried to diagnose it a bit. Here's what I found: -It...
  11. 03 Front Diff

I was changing my oil a couple weeks ago and discovered that my front differential is leaking. I've got an 03 FX4 Level II, and was wondering if anyone's had experience dealing with replacing the gasket and such. I've had to open up the rear diff twice to change the rear axle seal, so it's not...
  12. Axle/Seal Problems

Hey all. First time here, and I've got a problem. I've got an 03 Ranger FX4 Level II (4WD, 4L engine) that has now eaten two right rear axle seals in the last 2 years. Both of them were found during the NYS safety inspection, causing it to fail. My g/f's dad (a former mechanic) and I...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad