• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by freedom5

1. Fuel Tank Capacity

What is the fuel tank capacity for a 1987 Range long wheel base two wheel drive?
  2. Fuel Tank Capacity

What is the fuel tank capacity for a 1987 Ranger fuel injected long wheel base?
  3. Starting Problems

After checking everything else to solve my starting problems ( it would start right away if cold and after attaining normal operating temperature) I decided to replace the TPI (Throttle Position Indicator). After doing so it now starts and runs very smooth with good acceleration. The TPI is...
  4. Starting Problems

Since the fuel pump initially provides 35 psi then drops to about 10, could a fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure cause a cold engine to start OK but then later afterwards on a restart cause difficulty unless the Accelerator is pushed to the floor whereas the pump pressure is reapplied...
  5. Starting Problems

My 2.9 starts right up when cold or hot but sometimes when the engine hasn't attained operating temp the starter will kick out. If I push the accelerator to the floor it will catch. The engine runs smooth, good acceleration etc.. I'm suspecting either the TPI or Engine Coolant Sensor. What think...
  6. Starting Problems

I may have misled folks when I posted having starting problems. Several replies referenced the starter. Actually the engine starts and runs fine when it has been setting for a spell or at fully operating temperature. It isn't a fuel problem - runs smooth, accelerates good and gets good mileage...
  7. Erratic Starting Problem

Still having some problems with occasional starting. It's not fuel pressure bleed down as it can sit for days and will fire right up - run smooth with good acceleration. Occasionally after being driven when attempting a restart it will seem to try but the Bendix will kick out before it runs and...
  8. Erratic Starting Problem

My 87 Ranger has recently had an erratic starting problem. It sometimes takes a couple of tries before it starts. Once it starts it runs smooth, accelerates good and shows no other problems. I am guessing it may be the fuel pressure regulator leaking back and not keeping fuel available until...
  9. Alternator Light flickering

The other day my charging light started flickering. Usually starts after the engine warms up. Light goes out above 1500 RPM. I took it to Auto Zone where I had recently purchased a new battery and the battery checked O. The clerk suggested I check the plug ins on the alternator. Cleaned them and...
  10. Unthought of Solution

Recently when my 2.9 wouldn't start I thought the fuel pump had failed. During trouble shooting I discovered the fuel pump relay (the original '87) was full of corrosion. I cleaned all of the contacts and replaced the relay and found that it also solved some other problems often posted on the...
  11. Fuel Pump Problem

My '87 2.9 has been running like a dream until today and it wouldn't start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump come on so checked the fuel at the shrader fitting - no fuel. I then checked the inertia switch - it had not tripped nor has there been any reason for it to. Next step was to check the fuel...
  12. Speedometer Cable 1987 Ranger Auto/2wd

What is the difference in the 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive speedometer cable? I have a 4LD tranny. Some parts stores only list the 4wheel dr. I also noted some cables 70" and other s 80". My speedometer seems to be accurate on MPH but the needle started fluxuating and I can detect a slight...
  13. Wiper Motor Replacement

I had previously posted this on "Need Urgent Help" and had a couple of replies which didn't help. They only commented that it's a pain in the ass to do. I have found some printed instructions that includes the removal of the [U]right wiper arm,[U] then the nut holding the shaft through the cowl...
  14. 87 Ranger Wiper Motor

I have been having trouble with my wipers returning to park when shut off. I replaced the wiper/washer switch which didn't solve the problem. I have purchased a new motor but find with my big hands it's almost impossible to reach in behind the plate opening to remove the clip on the motor...
  15. Clock Light Out

Is the clock light bulb in the radio in a 1987 Ranger?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad