• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by hat_man

1. Axle code 85

I used to have a '97 Ranger. That little Lima was a bit "gut-less" but got me great mileage. Never needed the big HP. I was sorry to see it die. I still have it and hope to resurrect it someday just to pass it on to one of the kids. It's a stick and none of them want to learn. I wish I...
  2. Axle code 85

Thanks RonD. I just thought of another question you might be able to answer. In the PCM when I have to change the gear and tire size, are there only options for what the Ranger may have come with or just a "blank" spot to put whatever ratio I switch to?
  3. Axle code 85

Sorry sheep herder. I must have missed your post somehow. I've already gone to a 235/75/15. I'm not sure I can fit anything larger in there.
  4. Axle code 85

Thanks RonD. I just confirmed I have a 3.73 rear end. Little piece of colored tape on a rear U-joint bolt and roll it in neutral. Works like a charm. Get a bolt to stop at 6 o'clock and put on a piece of tape. Mark the tire at 12 o'clock and roll it forward one revolution. If the tape is...
  5. Axle code 85

Scotts90Ranger.... I'm running the same tire now. 235/75/15. About 5% larger than stock on the '03. So with the 29" tires and a 4.10 rear you were running about 2k rpm at 60 mph? My rear end tag says I have the 3.73 and I'm running the same rpm at 55. After doing some quick math I should...
  6. Axle code 85

pjtoledo.....One of the things I'm hoping for is the added load from the taller gear will offset the pumping losses from the throttle being so closed at cruise. Sounds counter intuitive to push harder on the "go pedal" to save fuel, but it works. I would love to mount a vacuum gauge on the...
  7. Axle code 85

Thanks for the replies. It could be the vibrations cancelling each other out, but taller gearing is going to help with mileage anyhow and the smoother ride feel would be a bonus for my just over an hour commute. A bit of a win-win. I may have been given bad information and ran with it rather...
  8. Looks like you've been here quite a while. I joined years ago and never got back. Posted at...

Looks like you've been here quite a while. I joined years ago and never got back. Posted at that "other" Ranger site, but it seems really slow over there and people getting snarky. I'm across the bridge in Sterling.
  9. Axle Gearing Decision Guide

This is the formula I use for rpm range in any transmission gear with any rear end and any tire diameter at any speed. RPM = (Speed x Rear End Gear x Transmission Gear x Tire revolution per mile) / 60
  10. Axle code 85

Hello all. I haven't posted here in quite some time. I still come in and look around from time to time though. My old '97 Ranger finally died and I bought a "new" '03. From the reading I have done here I am wanting to swap out the rear end to one with the 3.55 gears. I'm sure this comes as...
  11. Been lurking too long.....have a question about 2.3 heads

Hello all, I've been lurking here and using all the info I can to help keep my '97 Ranger on the road. It has 217k miles on it now and runs pretty good. I have never had the engine out (I bought it with 97k on it) and engine wise, I have only had to replace the timing belt and alt. I am...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad