• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Pony Boy

1. M5OD clutch/pilot replacement, vibration in 4th and 5th gears

I just replaced my clutch in my 2wd '88 2.3 Ranger, M5OD trans. While in there I realized the crank had NO pilot bearing installed! I never noticed much from a lack of one, I've owned the truck for 10 years, but it doesn't get alot of miles. It was buzzy, but I assumed that was the nature of the...
  2. Headlights Low Voltage

Power wire running to the headlight switch is exactly what my battery voltage is, 12.57 volts. Plug the switch in and I see 10 volts at the headlights. I ordered a new headlight switch as my next step, we'll see if it makes a difference later this week.
  3. Headlights Low Voltage

My profile is referencing my old '95 Bronco I had way back when I joined. The Ranger is original other than a 2.3 turbo engine swap, no changes to wiring or fuse box. Headlight connectors are far below battery voltage, I know that much, with both headlights plugged in I get 10 volts. with both...
  4. Headlights Low Voltage

Having an issue with dim headlights and instrument cluster lights that will also flicker enough to notice at random times, and will also dim noticeably when the brake lights go on. It's on an '88 Ranger, I didn't have this issue until my alternator shorted itself out a couple years ago, and...
  5. 2.9 vacuum lines

Just a quick question for a 1989 Bronco 2, where does the end of this vacuum line connect? The large vacuum hose coming off the bottom of what appears to be a one way valve. It's been disconnected since I bought the truck, and can't find any vacuum ports it should be connected to, unless it's...
  6. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

I was going to attempt to post a datalog, but I'm having trouble posting it. It's only viewable through this Diablosport data viewer https://forum.diablosport.com//viewtopic.php?f=31&t=51448 but my datalog file is just a text file, when I try and attach it all it shows is gibberish. It reads...
  7. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

Yessir, I checked the KAM fuse, it wasn't blown. I also have a question about the MAF airflow, measured in grams per second. At full throttle it's only reading 80 gr/second, according to the scantool. I know it's a small engine but shouldn't it be pulling more air than that through the meter...
  8. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

I'm revisiting this, driveability is terrible. With the pedal held to the floor for over a mile, the truck will not go over 73 mph. I don't necessarily believe the compression readings are too high, there are many other posts on 2.3 Duratecs getting 200 PSI of compression, although I still...
  9. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

Yes, I replaced the knock sensor yesterday, it didn't make any difference. Some more diagnostic info, Compression test was perfect Cylinder 1 200 PSI Cylinder 2 215 PSI Cylinder 3 215 PSI Cylinder 4 200 PSI Vacuum test on the engine is pulling 22 PSI, drops to 0 every time the throttle is...
  10. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

I've used 93 octane, it helps the pinging, but still has a loss of power. Those temps are in Fahrenheit.
  11. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

A little more diagnostic information. Spark advance is at 15* at idle, when revving in neutral spark advance goes up to 41*. When driving, full throttle spark goes up to 36*, and back to 22*, but still pings, and it doesn't retard any further. Short term fuel trims stay close to 0, at idle...
  12. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

Replaced knock sensor today, no change at all. My symptoms are identical to what this poster describes on another forum. https://www.ranger-forums.com/dohc-2-3l-duratec-mazda-l-engines-136/help-diagnose-possible-engine-issue-149871/
  13. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

Thank you! I know exactly where it is, I've seen it multiple times when pulling the intake manifold, it's located directly on the block between cylinders 2 and 3. It is plugged in, but I will be looking for a new one.
  14. 2.3 Duratec pinging/loss of power

2010 Ford Ranger extended cab, auto, 2wd, 75,000ish miles, 235/75/15 tires. Over the last year and a half it's started pinging at high rpms. At first it was no big deal. I had an EGR code, I can't remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was PO400. I cleared the code once and it never came...
  15. 2.3 M5OD upgrade

I have a 1988 Ford Ranger with a 2.3 turbo engine and the original M5OD from the Ranger. Is there any reason to update the transmission to a newer one from say a Ranger with the 2.5? Did Ford ever update the M5OD for use behind the 4 cylinder engines, or is mine pretty much the same as what they...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad