• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Footwear of choice?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
welding out of position upside down if the rule......putting earplugs in to keep the slag out you will see me do....or blue shop towels twisted into ear plugs or a wrap over my whole fat head.
I actually bought a couple welders Doo-rags. I might not look as good as the cool kids when I wear them. But it's a lot better than that tingly feeling when my hair is on fire. I often forget about plugging my ears. That can hurt pretty bad.

But, back to shoes. The few times I've welded in sneakers, I've been quickly reminded why leather footwear is much better.

I'm a nerd when riding the motorcycle, too. "All the gear all the time" is a good motto for both scenarios.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Recently bought some " cheaper" Redwing boots. Too early to really tell but seem to be breaking in OK. I have arthritis bad in one foot, plantar in both feet. I have custom orthotics too but not happy with them.
Ive been using a cotton kerchief instead of a do-rag. I have scalp issues from working outside with no protection all my life...and im bald. Going to be putting on an ointment meant for pre- cancerous treatment. It will burn off all the dead skin and any stuff that can turn into cancer. Not looking forward to it....
Be careful with your body.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds to me like you're looking for a mix of durability, flex, and comfort. Have you looked at a moctoe boot? They don't have the hard vibram sole, but flex well.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
62 years old and never owned a pair of ankle high boots. Most days I wear penny loafers, if I wear anything on my feet at all. Barefoot as long as I am home, indoors or out. Sometimes a pair of flip-flops. Sometimes a pair of slip-on "sneakers". Boots? Never!
Penny loafers? I've had several pairs over the years and none of them were even remotely comfortable. At work, and often at home, I'm doing stuff where my feet need protection. Of course, in the real workplace, OSHA requires it. But I like my feet. So I wear good boots at home, too. Bare feet won't work around the drill press or welder. The possibility of dropping a bumper or shock or hammer on my toes demands some kind of protection. Mowing the lawn? Running the weedeater? Yeah. Let's protect that bare skin. I don't like to do those things in shorts, either. It just hurts when all that flying debris hits my skin. Offroading? Good boots. Jumping in and out of the truck, walking around on rocks and mud, the possibility if a larger rock rolling onto my feet, snake bites, poisonous plants, insects and sharp sticks. That all equals the need for real footage. I'll sometimes go offroading in sandals. But not bare feet. I like my feet.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'll stick with my hiking boots and sport sandals. Those keep the feet from feeling beat up and I don't like most other shoes. They either don't provide good arch support or they look ugly/funny.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have another vote for Keen.

I think their quality has slipped over the years... but I just bought a new pair before last year's trail ride. I have a wide foot and Keens larger toe box just works well for me.
You aren;tt he first person I've heard say that about the Keens. I might just have to give them a try next time I go for hiking boots.

Going to be putting on an ointment meant for pre- cancerous treatment. It will burn off all the dead skin and any stuff that can turn into cancer. Not looking forward to it....
Be careful with your body.
Dad was having to go through that before they found the prostate cancer. Not fun. Hasn't had it done since they started chemo, but not sure if it's going to resume now that chemo is finished.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dang FlOoReD, God be with you on that man
Anyone who doesn't know needs to realize, you need ankle support

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i get the worx brand shoes from red wings because i don't like shoes/boots that don;t allow me to walk comfortably. i have some all black leather ones and some tan leather ones that kind of look like vans skateboarding shoes. i put my orthotics in that pair since they are very flat inside and that makes them very comfortable. the black worx brand already is very comfortable so they don;t need any support inside.

and for the precancer cream on your head.. that stuff sucks. i have don't it twice because i grew up surfing and doing that kind of stuff and had very thin light hair. your pillow case is going to be ruined because that cream takes the top layer or two of skin of and you will get scabs everywhere it goes, which will than crack and bleed. but that stuff works. i have been through skin cancer twice, on my back and the left temple area. they said if that cream didn't work to take away stuff, they would have to cut and since the eye muscles are right there, i would have lost control of the left eye. luckily that temple stuff burned out and hasn;t come back and the stuff on top of my head has not come back, either.

the back though, they told me in december it looks like its coming back. that one got cut out 16 years ago and had been clear since. so that might be a bummer but they are keeping an eye on it and said they will just cut it out again, if it keeps going the way they think it will.

that cream for your head is way worse that when they cut out stuff, so far, though.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
There's a guy on youtube that does boot tests and reviews...He even cuts em in half for dissection. Its shocking how many high end brands are either junk or have become junk.

Ive yet to find a good pair. I have a few different kinds and rotate em around. They're all cool and comfy at first, but not all day.

I've been running whatevers avail off the big5 shelf until I find a good pair worth investing.

I cant stand heavy bulky hot boots. Im clumsy footed already and my feet sweat alot. Havent found a pair that doesnt feel hot and heavy by the end of the day.

My house shoes are either sketchers slip ins or a pair of Nikes. The air max 2017 is the comfy show Ive ever worn.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For the past 5 or so years I’ve been wearing these Thorogood boots. I had a similar one by canner before, but these seem to hold up better.

I like this type of wedge sole since I’m always working inside on concrete I can go a lot longer standing on the concrete with this type vs other style of soles.

I order them online from midwestboots.com

I don’t every wear sneaker, I just wear the same boots every day.
I have a pair of sandals I wear sometimes in the summer, but that’s it

1706565715134.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals