• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. darkspork

Does anybody know anything about Ford Focuses?

So let me explain myself before I ask my questions (or just skip to the last paragraph): I'm probably going to trade my Ranger for a 2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES this Friday. I can't come up with a good argument to keep it other than that it's reliable. Snow prowess is about what you would expect...
  2. darkspork

Fixing Alloy Wheels?

Yesterday I bought a set of used alloy wheels to use as a winter set with snow tires on my wife's car. One rim his somewhat of a "nick" or indentation most likely from collision with a curb on the lip of the rim. I was told that the tire still holds air fine. Is it possible to repair this...
  3. darkspork

Towed for my first time yesterday

I pulled a 5x9 utility trailer with a riding mower in it. It was actually really easy with the Ranger. Now I just need for figure out the whole backing thing.
  4. darkspork

Anybody knowledgeable on auto insurance?

In an effort to cut back my expenses I'm considering selling my Ranger and buying a 1996-2000 Civic EX coupe. I can only make sense out of it if the insurance is cheaper on the Civic. I'd sell the Ranger for what I owe on it and buy the civic for less than $6k and take out a 2 year loan on it...
  5. darkspork

Question for those knowledgeable on CA smog laws

My wife and I are residents of California residing outside of the state (North Dakota). We live in North Dakota because I am active duty military and I have orders here. Her car is registered in California and will be due for a smog test next year. The problem is that we will not be able to...
  6. darkspork

Best rpm to shift at?

I hope there isn't a threat already dedicated to this, if there is I couldn't find it. What's the best rpm to shift at (for fuel efficiency) with the SOHC 4.0? When I first got the truck I was shifting at 2000 and read somewhere that on this engine 2500 is much better, so I switched to shifting...
  7. darkspork

Hey guys need some help

Sorry that its not Ranger related. My wife got in an accident on the 4th of July, she had the right of way but her car is totaled. Insurance is a hassle because the other person had their son run to friend's houses and get "witnesses" (they claim my wife entirely blew the stop sign, I wasn't...
  8. darkspork

Long trip preventative maintenance

What preventative maintenance should I do to my truck before taking it on a long trip (1700 miles each way). I've chained the transmission oil, bled the clutch, replaced the pcv valve, and fuel filter. I plan to do a synthetic oil change before I start the trip (I've been running synthetic in...
  9. darkspork

Got a question for the Ford technicians

Its probably a stupid question: A buddy of mine has a 2007 Ford F150. Alternator just went out. He said it has over 36,000 miles so the basic warranty is done, but the Drivetrain warranty should still be good. Are alternators covered under Ford's Drivetrain warranty? I'm guessing not, but I'd...
  10. darkspork

Random unrelated transmission questions (M50D-R1 4WD Transmission)

I have a couple random questions about my transmission so I figured I'd put them all in one thread: 1. Since the weather has warmed, when taking off in first before the clutch is fully engaged (right around the grabbing point) the vehicle makes somewhat of a strange spooling/groaning sound...
  11. darkspork

Touch up paint tips?

When I bought my Ranger it had one sizable spot where the paint is chipped off from being bumped into in a parking lot. The primer is still intact. Last week I washed the truck and noticed a small chip in the hood, and a small chip on the tailgate, primer intact on both chips. So I went to the...
  12. darkspork

Fuel Gauge Innaccurate

I have a question about the fuel gauge in my 2003 Ranger. The fuel gauge seems to be off by a few gallons. In the past two fill ups I've been averaging just under 15mpg (not bad for 60% city driving with 4Hi on 25% of the time), this isn't an issue to me but my fuel gauge seems to be inaccurate...
  13. darkspork

Just bought my first Ford

Just thought I'd give an introduction. Today I bought my first Ford: 2003 Ranger Supercab, 4.0L, 4x4, 5 speed manual, 4.10 open diff. I really like it so far, seems like a good truck. I hope it outlasts the S-10 I use to have :). I'll check back periodically. -Mike
  14. darkspork

Question about clutch disengagement

I test drove a 2003 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4 with the 4.10 gears today with roughly 65,000 miles on it. The first thing I noticed when I tried to back it up was that the clutch doesn't seem to disengage until the pedal is pretty far out (I'd say 65-75% but I'm not exactly sure). Is this typical...
  15. darkspork

Want to buy V6 truck need opinions

Hey everybody. I'm looking into buying my second truck to replace my 4 banger wagon. My first truck was a 1992 S10 with the 4.3L engine and it had over 225,000 miles on it by the time I decided I shouldn't drive it anymore (moved to the snow, it was 2x4). Anyhow, that's irrelevant. I am heavily...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad