• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Replace Distributor- is there an easy way?

It's an '87 STX, 177CI and I'm hopin' somebody can tell me the easiest way to pull the distributor. I don't have Jeannie to blink or Samantha to twitch her nose so any other suggestions are welcome. Being done in a hotel parking lot, so the less time and fewest steps required are top priority. I...
  2. Delete Never mind WTB Camper Shell '87 STX

Gettin' out of Kommiefornia. Would like to buy a shell, 72" by 60", preferably with windows so vision is good enough I don't have to rely on just my mirrors. If I can't find a shell I'd settle for an enclosed trailer 4'X6' or 5'X8' that's at least semi-roadworthy. If anybody can help, I'm in...
  3. Engine dies, won't run unless key turned off

It's an '87 STX, 2.9 5sp. Used to run into the problem maybe once a year but now it can happen twice in a day. Been pretty warm lately but sometimes this happens at regular operating temp on just the 6 mile drive home from work. If I don't turn key switch off, then back on, the engine cranks...
  4. Which shocks?

Got an '87 STX that seems to be a red-headed stepchild. Lots of shocks listed for '87 4X4, front & rear, but almost all of them note that they'll fit all except the high rider. Is there that much difference? Is my STX really a high rider also with no markings? Any suggestions as to what size to...
  5. How much gas is too much?

Nah, I don't mean from eatin' too many legumes. Bein' I'm such a cheap SOB, whenever I got to town where fuel is about 40 cents a gallon less than up here in the hills, I go to my favorite station where it's least expensive and my generic smokes are a deal. I find that from first shut-off of the...
  6. Am I Askin' for Trouble?

Haven't been able to figure out how big my tank is so I've been thinkin' about just runnin' her out of gas (while carrying a can with about 1-1/2 gallons) then seein' how much it takes to fill the tank and can. Great way to figure out MGP, too. Possible drawbacks are suckin' crud into the fuel...
  7. Engine Lugging and Radio Static

I'm hopin' some of you guys'll give me an idea (I know there're no hard and fast rules) as far as when I might be lugging the 2.9 in my stock '87 4X4. ID plate says it has 3.73 and came with P215/75R15 and it now has LT235R75/15. Truck has 144K and seems to run pretty well, other than an...
  8. Chain up front or rear?

I'm guessin' this'll be like oil and tire discussions on some of my bike forums but I'll try it anyway. I have one set of chains and if I had my druthers I'd never have to mount 'em, but I've been told by a local shade tree mechanic that he's seen plenty of front diffs blown by guys who only...
  9. Comin' out of lurk mode

Howdy. Bought an '87 STX in Oct. of 2012 and found this site shortly thereafter. The truck has less than 150K and seems to be in pretty good shape. Needed a t-stat, I've replaced clutch, front wheel bearings and tie rod ends (actually had a shop do 'em) but other than that it doesn't need...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad