• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. How hard is it to align core support?

I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to scrap my truck. The lower end of the radiator core support is gone where it mounts to the frame. Thought about welding in some metal, but there is nothing left to weld to. Replacing it (1994) looks like a PITA. How hard is it to align the new one?
  2. Brake questions.

1. Is there a cheaper non-oem source for backing plates? Mine have seen 20+ years of Illinois road salt, and junkyard one's dont look any better. Mine are heavily rusted. Call me a tightwad, but I'll be damned if I have to pay $65 for one backing plate, I balk at price of a simple sheet of...
  3. Transmission options?

Is the A4LD as much of a POS as people say they are? I am getting farther along on my 94 rebuild, but the transmission is an A4LD, every site pretty much says "this trans is a pos, avoid at all costs". But oddly I can't find any more complaints about it than the auto in any other ford vehicle...
  4. Paint gas tank straps?

New ones came in today. They appear to be bare steel.
  5. Axle/leaf spring isolator?

Upon switching the rear axles out, the old ones had plastic between the axle and leaf spring. I guess to prevent creaks. Does one need this? If so, where can one get it?
  6. I'm not an engineer, but..

1. Why does Ford use 12 point bolts on the Ranger's Driveshaft? This is the only 12pt bolt I have encountered so far. All my tool sets are in 6 point, because 12 point sockets will round off 6 point bolts. 2. Why doesn't Ford (or any other truck company) powdercoat/heavy paint their frames...
  7. Will 9" brakes fit on 8.8?

When I ordered parts for my truck, I did not realize someone swapped the rear axle, and the tag was gone. Well the original axle was 7.5 with 9" Brakes. The axle swapped in was an 8.8" with 9" brakes. So I have drums, pads, hardware, and wheel cylinders for 9" brakes. The JY axle is 10"...
  8. What wheels are these?

I bought them off a late 90s ranger. They fit, but they are not in any brochure I have. They are dished in somewhat, but don't interfere with the brakes or anything, and the previous owner had them on his for over 40k miles. They ARE oem Ford. They are not alloy, but a thick chrome shell...
  9. Rear axle bearing puller or slide hammer?

I noticed my local auto store carries both in their loan a tool service. I need to remove both the seal and the bearing on the rear of my 2wd 94 ranger. Which one do I need?
  10. I have a bad feeling I'm gonna have to scrap my truck.

So I ordered a prothane bushing kit for my 1994 ranger. The kit came without any hardware. I called prothane and they told me to buy it from LMC. LMC would be almost $150 just for the hardware. I found another site, but it would still be $70. That's a highway robbery price, for no more...
  11. I feel sick...

So I go to put the ring gear on my new carrier. Won't fit. Come to find out... Some a-hole put a 8.8 rear end on it. Without disclosing it to me. I was just going off the door code..(the rear end didn't have one). So now the $65 I spent on the 7.5, the cover, and gasket, is now worthless.
  12. I think I just made a big mistake...

Well the rear end carrier on my ranger is toast. After spending 3 hours getting the carrier out, I noticed some dumbass drilled the locking pin bolt hole out with NO GUIDE. The carrier is ruined, the threads are fubar and the egg shapped. So I get on ebay and look for a carrier. Someone just...
  13. Odd cable, rear of ranger.

When I was replacing my fuel tank, I spotted an odd, thick, insulated cable on the rear cross member for the rear of the cab. At first I thought it was a electrical cable, and got underneath. The cable is mounted to one section of the cab, loops around the frame, and back to the cab. Not a...
  14. Transmission questions (while parts are on the way).

Supposedly the trans slipped in 2nd, the previous owner mumbled something about replacing the modulator. He said the trans leaked, but he didn't know where. Well I got under it today, and it's leaking out the VSS, my guess is the o-ring is bad. So..can low fluid cases a trans to slip? Also...
  15. Discount Auto Parts> Rockauto

I used to order a lot from RA for various cars of mine, but anymore they have become a pain in the rear. I wanted to do a tuneup on my other ride, a 2005 Chevy Malibu. They like to play a game, where parts seem cheap, until you add about 15 or so to your shopping cart. AFAIK, Rockauto doesn't...
  16. Need an expert on rear ends (so to speak).

Due to ford's genius idea of putting the axle tag on the cover plate, where anyone who might service it will loose it (as such the previous owner). Due to the owner's working on it before. Due to the cover being stamped 1997, when my truck is a 1994. I have no clue what actual rear end I...
  17. Cab mounts, which to buy?

OR
  18. Rear end question.

The book shows that spring, but makes no mention if that spring is only in the limited slip rear's, which mine is not. Currently there isn't one in there, but should there be? 94 Ranger, 7.5" Rear, 86 axle code.
  19. Fuel tank questions..

There is a shield on the side of it, well the bottom is missing. Can one get by without it? My dad's 96 Dakota doesn't have one. Thought it was a heat shield, but hell the muffler is clear on the other side.
  20. Anyway to do this cheaper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Differential-Locknut-Bolt-Extraction-Tool-Kit-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/361271960829?hash=item541d7ca4fd&vxp=mtr Someone had the rear end apart before. They broke the bolt. Glad the fricking rear end didn't explode! But is there a cheaper way to remove said broken bolt?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad