• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 4.0 OHV Swap

Currently have a 97 2wd 2.3 Ranger. Engine runs amazing but it’s lacking torque and power. I know if I do the swap I’m gonna need basically a while donor vehicle for the engine trans harness and ecu. I’m not worried about that, because there’s tons of these at my local junkyards. The few...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Engine ticking after warming up

Had to replace the water pump and the thermostat housing, as they were both leaking coolant. Fired it up, runs fine when cold and sounds great. After I reach operating temp, it sounds like the valves are ticking really bad. I’ve always done my oil changes every 3-4K miles, with full synthetic...
  3. Annoying belt squeak

Well, my 97 started doing the dreaded belt squeak. It started after I replaced my alternator. I did put in a 130amp one from a 2004 ranger. I replaced the belt, idler, and tensioner pulleys after that. Still doing it on start up. I’ve tried belt conditioner stuff from the parts store, but it...
  4. 97 2.3 4x4 swap

Been wanting to 4x4 swap my ranger for a while. Before anyone tells me to sell it and buy a 4x4 one, I have a lot of emotional attachment to this vehicle. What I understand I need the crossmember from a 4x4 one. I have a 4 inch lift kit on mine right now, so would that solve that problem? I...
  5. 4.6 2v swap in a 97 ranger

Well I’ve decided to was a 4.6 from a 04 GT into my ranger. Getting the engine and transmission for super cheap. I’ve tried reading around on a lot of the threads here, and I only have a couple concerns. One is the motor mounts. Obviously if I really need to I could fab something up. But I...
  6. 97 2.3 turbo setup

I’ve been toying with the idea of turboing my 2.3. Right now, I know I’d have to either get forged internals, or get a t-bird 2.3 turbo. In my area there’s no t-birds with a turbo, so I’d have to get an engine online for ~2500. Would this really be worth it, as opposed to building my current...
  7. 97 2.3 Oil Pressure Gauge Flickering At Higher Rpm

Hey all, Recently my ranger oil gauge has been flickering at higher rpm. It used to do it around 4500~, but now just with normal driving it’s doing it around 3200. I’m not hearing any abnormal noises, but it makes me uneasy to drive when I can see the pressure gauge going down. If anyone has any...
  8. 8.8 regearing issues

Not sure why, but I decided it would be a good idea to swap out my rear end gears myself. Right now, I have the new pinion in, with a new bearing and the old shim. From what I read, you re-use the old shims, which is what I’m doing. I have that set and it’s “rotational Force” or whatever it’s...
  9. 97 2.3 AC blowing hot air

I have a 97 2.3 2wd model. I just replaced a lot of the AC components, since they were either old or leaking. I properly vacuumed and then charged the AC lines. I added 1lb 5oz of Freon, and 3oz of a Freon/oil mix. To me, it feels like the heater blend door is going bad. The actuator does work...
  10. Ford 8.8 re-gearing issues

Trying to figure out all I need to do to swap gears on a 97 ranger with 3.27 gears in a L/S 8.8. I’m wanting to switch to 4.88 gears since I have a 4 banger and 32 inch tires. I read on some forum (I think and explorer one) that is need a notched center pin. Would it be better just to get 4.56...
  11. 97 ranger locking up rear drums

Been having this issue for a while. Basically anytime the roads are even slightly wet, my back tires will lock up really easily. Firstly, is there an easy way to see if I have ABS? I don’t see anything that obviously looks like an ABS system if I follow the lines from the master. Secondly, is...
  12. 97 Dome Light Wont Turn On

Done light in my 97 won’t turn on. Shouldn’t matter, but it’s a 2.3 5 speed 2WD. Since I bought it, the dome light won’t turn on at all. The dimmer switch won’t activate it either. Are there any relays/fuses to check? Thanks.
  13. 97 Ranger rough idle misfiring while driving

Hey, I recently swapped engines from a 97 with 104k to another 97 with 238k. It’s running rough while idling, and it’s damn near impossible to get a mile down the road without it dying. I’ve replaced the MAF, and both O2 sensors. I have a new fuel filter and pump. I’m getting ~35-~40 psi of fuel...
  14. 97 2.3 clutch bleeding

Hey, just replaced the slave cylinder, hydraulic line, and the clutch/flywheel in my truck. Now for the life of me, I can’t get the clutch to disengage enough to shift into gear at all. I did the method listed on this site of gravity bleeding it, and I tried that. Fluid is coming out fine, no...
  15. 97 2.3 engine ground locations

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew all the stock grounding locations to the engine. Recently swapped the engine(2.3 to a low mileage 2.3), and I can’t seem to get it to start. I’m thinking it’s a grounding issue. If I connect the battery, I get power to the cab. The key buzzer goes off, and the...
  16. 97 4 Banger engine swap

Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes. I’m wanting to swap a 2.3 Automatic engine, ~105k miles, into a 2.3 Manual, ~240k miles. I’m assuming it will be plug and play? I’m going to be buying a new clutch and flywheel, so there shouldn’t be any concern there. But I was wondering if...
  17. 7.5 to 8.8 swap

Hey, figured with winter coming up now would be a good time to rip out my old 7.5, and put a L/S 8.8 in. Found one at the junkyard, with 55k miles. Does anyone know of the diff housings are the same length? I don’t want to have to get a custom driveshaft or anything. Also any tips would be...
  18. 97 Speed Control On Dash

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew what the light is for. Mine doesn’t actually light up, so I’m trying to figure out what it goes to. Thanks!
  19. 97 2.3 air vent issues

Hey! Lately, my ranger has been having issues directing airflow. Today, no matter what setting I have it at, it just seems that air is coming out of the defrost area. I checked the actual switch itself, and it’s vacuum operated so I would assume I’m having vacuum issues. If anyone could help...
  20. 97 2.3 cylinder one running lean

CEL is on, and it's giving the cylinder one bank is lean, and the EVAP purge valve. From why I've seen online, this is most likely related to a vacuum leak. So, I've checked all the vacuum lines that I can see(only 2. I don't know if there's any more), one from the intake and one from the EGR...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad