• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

06’ Ranger FX4 level ll with a 5.0 out of a 99’ Explorer. Need help getting speedometer to work

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
Just like the title says I need some input on getting the Speedometer to work. I did the 5 L swap then I decided to swap out the cluster with one out of a 2003 ranger because it has the sweeping gauges and not just dummy lights. The factory gauges had two 20 pin connectors and the 2003 had three connectors one was a 16 pin and one was a 12 pin and the other was a 10 pin so I just match the functions up the best I could and soldered the wires together. Well I got everything back together on the truck and the gauges and tach work correctly, except the speedometer/odometer is not working. I hooked up the Pin# 5 VSS gry/blk on the truck harness plug-in C220A to the Pin# 1 SPEED INPUT gry/blk on the explorer harness C287. And I hooked all the other wires up that accommodate the earlier cluster speedometer like the ground, constant power wire and the hot in run or start wire yet it still don’t work. 2krngr has a thread on here where he did the same thing and everything worked including the Speedometer/odometer but I haven’t heard from him sincè September 10th. Any input you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated! TIA

PS: the factory gauge cluster would not work correctly, the temperature gauge was calibrated differently and the tach was off also because it was for a 6 cylinder.

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
An update on my cluster situation. I have now got everything to work on the rig the cruise control, the speedometer, the odometer everything works correctly like it supposed to from the factory.

To fix my Speedometer issue I had to use the ABS pump and wire the pigtail from the Explorer in to my 2006 wire harness and adapt one brake line the other brake lines screwed right in, I also had to mount the G-force sensor on the truck underneath the driver seat on the frame and wire it in to the ABS pump. I then ran the VSS wire from the ABS and spiced it into the VSS wire coming from the computer going inside to the cluster. If there’s any questions on that just ask i’m not afraid to share information unlike some other people on here

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals