• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'19 keeps going in to "Battery save" mode?

exff22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2019, 2WD, 33,000 miles on it.

About three months ago when I started it up the audible tones were very different and a message flashed on the screen that said "Going in battery save mode" or something along those lines. Stopped by an auto parts store and had them test the battery since I still had the OEM battery. They said "There's nothing wrong with this battery" and asked me how much I drove it. I work from home so most days I might ony drive 3 or 4 miles. He suggested that may be what's causing it and that the battery isn't charging enough to maintain cranking amps. I said I'm going out town tomorrow and it's 60 miles each way. They said that should do it. It didn't. Took it to my local repair shop and they said I needed a new battery, which I got for around $300 (what happened to the days when you used to be able to go to Walmart and buy a new battery for $40???). All was good for about three months, now it's doing it again almost daily. I try and drive at least 10-15 miles a day now just to keep it charged good but alas, it's still doing it.

For the first 3 1/2 years I was driving to my hometown to take care of my parents so I was doing 150 miles or so each trip, about every three weeks. My father passed in '19 and my mother passed last September, so I've completely ceased those drives. Seems like that's about when this started again after getting the new battery.

I really don't want to take it to the dealer but I'm thinking I might have to.

Thoughts?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I bought a 60$ battery from Walmart earlier this year... it's just not an AGM battery that the new rangers use.

I'd ensure that the battery they put in your truck is the proper battery first.. if they out a "regular" battery in.. it probably wouldn't last very long and could explain your issues.

exff22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I've been taking my vehicles to the same Goodyear for 15 years. One thing I like about them is the owners philosopy that he firmly believes in replacing OEM parts with the exact samd brand and part. It's an AGM. I checked.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I've been taking my vehicles to the same Goodyear for 15 years. One thing I like about them is the owners philosopy that he firmly believes in replacing OEM parts with the exact samd brand and part. It's an AGM. I checked.
Have you broke out the ol multiple-meter and tested to see If you're experiencing any parasitic draw? Something could be drawing more than it should when its off.

I do know that leaving the truck sitting for just a week, even in nice weather, will sap enough to cause the power-save mode. Perhaps your 15 mile drives aren't enough to keep the battery topped off? 15 mile drives are likely causing excessive fuel dilution in your oil as well.. but thats a whole 'nother deal..

These new vehicles are computer-driven to the extent that its a fault. Ford sets the battery management system parameters in these trucks to keep the battery at either 70 or 75% state of charge.. which if you talk to a true battery nerd.. they'll tell you that 75% isn't enough.. and that it's actually harmful to the battery. There's a connector on/around the battery that if unplugged.. will remove the computers ability to keep the battery under-charged. More than a few folks have unplugged said connector and reported having better success in keeping out of the power-save mode.. that's up to you.

It might not hurt to have the new battery tested as well.. it could just be a factory defect.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The OEM battery in these new Rangers have a reputation of not being that great. The one in my 2019 got replaced in 2022. So, yours has held up longer than mine did. We'll see if the replacement OEM is any better.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 60$ battery from Walmart earlier this year... it's just not an AGM battery that the new rangers use.

I'd ensure that the battery they put in your truck is the proper battery first.. if they out a "regular" battery in.. it probably wouldn't last very long and could explain your issues.
Yeah, start stop will mercilessly throat punch a normal flooded battery... they do not work.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you test the alternator?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When you turn off these newer Ford vehicles, a bunch of accessory things stay powered up for a while - usb ports for example. Going into battery saver mode just means that stuff is all getting turned off right away. Its not a problem unless you want to have your dashcam run for 30 minutes after you turn off the vehicle. What I see at the store is some vehicles want to go into battery saver all the time and others never do, even when they likely should. I would not worry about it, but that's just me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would log the actual charge voltage for a week.

and shit can stop start.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals