• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Bronco 2 Power issues

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am in the midst of swapping my 4.0 into my 85 bronco 2. Before pulling the engine, i had all lights and signals. After pulling the engine and engine harness there is no power to anything. Lights should be on an independent circuit, but nothing is working. Excuse my crude drawling but this is what the power for the accessories looks like. I will also attach the Chilton page referencing what I'm drawling. The first picture is the main power connector for the lights, Orange/Black. When I disconnected the left side (headlight side) the wire has full battery power. When the connector is reattached but the headlight pull switch is off, it reads around 4-5 volts. And finally, when I pull the headlight switch, it drops to 0 volts everywhere besides the starter solenoid. I checked the fuse's and they were in working condition, however when the headlight switch is disengaged the fuse reads 10.5V and climbing. All fusible links visibly looked good. In regards to my 3rd picture, it is the same connector as the first picture but it doesn't have anything to plug into. I checked the 2.8 harness and couldn't find a matching wire. The last two pictures is the wiring diagram. Connector 1 and 2 when headlights are "off" reads 4-5V. Lastly, when i pulled the engine harness for the 2.8 I made sure not to cut anything related to the body. Its making me crazy, my best guess is the headlight switch, but i am not sure how that would of gotten buggered up. Hopefully one of yall are electrical engineers, not my fancy yet. Thanks!

Attachments

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, another lessoned learned from grounds. Even if all the factory grounds are connected, doesnt mean that adding some can hurt. I made a multi ground wire from the battery to the frame, firewall, and core support.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for posting your fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals