• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 ranger 2.3l to 97 4.0l swap

Brehenkel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have been reading for a while on articles and not finding or missed the article I need. Can someone shed some light on if I can swap a 97 4.0l into a 90 ranger 2.3l? The 90 ranger is rust free and that is why I want to save it. Both trucks are manual transmissions. Thanks for any replies.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You will need to change the transmission too as the bellhousing are integral with the trans and the bolt patterns are different between the engines.
The motor mounts will need changing and you may not be able to use the ones off the 97, not sure...
The wiring will be different. The firewall plug on the 90 is 60pin, the 97 is 110(?). Doable but you will need the electrical manuals for both years.
I'm not sure if the fuel pressure changed between years. I think the 97 is higher and no return line...but not sure.

Brehenkel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks, I should of been more thorough on my post. I have both complete trucks sitting here, both un molested, and both manual . I was reading earlier off one of the 4.0 threads and I missed or goofed. The one conversion thread seemed like it just needed to be a 4.0 ohv donor and easier in the 89-92 because of dash compatibility. but it looked like I screwed the pooch and missed the part on being 90-94 on the donor 4.0l. The one that is running with the 2.3 I am going to keep driving until I had the 4.0l built and then do the swap. Trying to figure out if that donor is doable or if I could find some parts to make it easier with that donor? Rebuilding the engine and swapping is no issue, turning 50 this year I have done my fare share of that. It was just the wiring part I missed in the threads about the donor years. I also have access to a complete 2001 ranger with a 4.0l SOHC running. So trying to figure out with some guidance best route to go about the engine and harness.

Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is not a swap I've done. I've just read alot on TRS. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Electric is not my strong suite.

Kelley 94 da

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda/ B3000
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering the same thing I have a 94 Mazda B3000 with the 30 I also have a 95 splash with a 4.0 I was wondering if I could take the 40 and put into my Mazda and what would be the necessary things I would need due to the splash is total loss and the motor and transmission are good

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The engine crossmembers are the same (assuming both 4x2) so you will likely just need to swap the brackets that mount to the engine crossmember too. Wiring shouldn't be too bad but I haven't really done a complete engine swap in a Ranger before, I'm using the Ranger harness on my turbo 2.3L... apparently the body harness and engine harness separate fairly simply... of course a '97 is more complex than a '90...

'97 was the last year of the low pressure system with a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail conveniently but all the fuel lines and fuel tank are different but you could probably put all the '97 stuff on the '90... I think the fuel filter is the same though so might be able to switch there...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
97 2wd could be a arm.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
had it happened to me. title and build date was a 97 but really a 98.

Kelley 94 da

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda/ B3000
Transmission
Automatic
So quick update. Did a compression test cyl 1-3#### 100 psi. 4-6#### 90 psi. Changed all emissions related items still has that miss.don't know what other place to look any suggestions would help before I do a engine swap

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals