• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4wd suspension question

Kaden Danbury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hi! I am starting a prerunner build with my ranger and wanted to see if anyone knew if the 98 2WD suspension pivot points and the 98 4WD are the same. When I build this I want to delete the 4WD so I have fewer issues out in the desert. I wanted to order a suspension kit for the truck and want to order the 2WD version and not the 4WD kit. I would order some 2wd knuckles with the kit. Does anyone know if the kit will fit? Thank you and hope everyone has a good rest of their day!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thread moved to the 4X4 Suspension section. I think the RWD control arms are different since they use coil springs instead of torsion bars.

Best bet is to look at an Edge model on the Ford Parts web site and compare parts and part numbers since they more or less use a 4X4 frame and suspension. There are some differences since there is no CV shafts to hold the hub in place but I couldn't list all the differences for you.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your question is not clear - are you asking about front suspension or rear suspension? The front suspension is totally different between a 2wd and a 4wd in 98. The 2wd is a coil spring setup, and the 4wd is a torsion bar setup. I don't believe anything interchanges. iirc, the Edge 2wd w/ the torsion bar suspension started in 2001.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Your question is not clear - are you asking about front suspension or rear suspension? The front suspension is totally different between a 2wd and a 4wd in 98. The 2wd is a coil spring setup, and the 4wd is a torsion bar setup. I don't believe anything interchanges. iirc, the Edge 2wd w/ the torsion bar suspension started in 2001.
The way I read the OP's post, they are asking about the front suspension.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
close, but there are differences.
the 4WD knuckle is taller than a coil spring knuckle.
that means the mounting points for the control arms are farther apart vertically.
the upper control arms are different, coil is shorter and has a smaller ball joint stud.

ok, you have 4wd now, right?? want to convert it to 2WD right?

Sport Track had 2wd versions. those knuckles mount identical to the 4WD, even use torsion bars.
I have had 2001 2WD Sport Track knuckles mounted on my 2000 4x4 to see if it worked, it did.

Sport Track knuckles also give you 12" front rotors, same calipers & pads..
the Edge 2WD knuckles are basically the same, but only 11.25 rotors. Edge has torsion bars too.

getting back to the pivot points.......
I believe the top control arm ones are the same.
the lower section of the frame is different, on 4WD ( and Edge ) the crossmember hangs lower.

you need to get more details on exactly what the kit(s) fit. be sure it will fit torsion bar systems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals