• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) 99 2.5 running rough, previous owner removed EVERYTHING

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I bought a 99 Ranger recently with the 2.5 and a 5 speed.

All the emissions equipment has been removed.

The idle is all over the place, sometimes it will idle smooth, then it will almost die, rev up, and run rough. It has a high idle between shifts, but runs down the road good. Just looking for a little advice before we dive into it.

The codes it has are:
P1409 Electronic vacuum regulator control circuit
P1401 DPFE Sensor Circuit high voltage
P1451 Evap emissions system vent control valve circuit malfunction
P0443 Evap emission system purge control valve circuit

All of these systems have been removed. The truck has a fuel cell which explains the purge and vent codes. The one that is a little perplexing to me is that it does not have a P0420 code even though the cat has been removed, I don't believe it has a defouler installed on the rear 02.

We plan to get it on my buddies scanner to read live data, all I have is a code reader.

The previous owner(s) told me it was running rough, and they removed everything thinking that would fix it. They do claim it runs better, but obviously it doesn't run good.

Should I start with putting the DPFE and EGR back on? I'll have to go and buy them since they didn't come with the truck, the plugs are still there on the harness. I sprayed everything down and I don't think it has any vacuum leaks.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would recommend a wrecking yard over a parts store, simply my way of thinking, believing an old Ford part is better than anything out of china
You can also get a warranted price most times and get a second or third shot maybe

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
By "vacuum control valve" does that mean IAC? I would investigate that first on a rough/inconsistent idle... It's 2 wires that should just go to the ECM I believe, there could be something going on with one of them... I don't remember if '99 had a body module that interpreted the signal from the rear axle to get the vehicle speed but in that era the idle circuit in the computer took input from vehicle speed to smoothly transition to idle on decel if I understand correctly.

I've never once had a random symptom and just said "well, I don't know what I'm doing but we'll just remove everything, see if that helps" but hey, what do I know :), I do understand though, the body drop process isn't likely simple...

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I would recommend a wrecking yard over a parts store, simply my way of thinking, believing an old Ford part is better than anything out of china
You can also get a warranted price most times and get a second or third shot maybe
Yeah i would get the parts from pullapart as long as i can find good ones
By "vacuum control valve" does that mean IAC? I would investigate that first on a rough/inconsistent idle... It's 2 wires that should just go to the ECM I believe, there could be something going on with one of them... I don't remember if '99 had a body module that interpreted the signal from the rear axle to get the vehicle speed but in that era the idle circuit in the computer took input from vehicle speed to smoothly transition to idle on decel if I understand correctly.

I've never once had a random symptom and just said "well, I don't know what I'm doing but we'll just remove everything, see if that helps" but hey, what do I know :), I do understand though, the body drop process isn't likely simple...
It does have a new IAC on it. I will check it and the wiring. I was told about the only thing they haven't "checked" is the under dash wiring. When the truck was body dropped some 15ish years ago they shoved the under hood fuse box under the dash somewhere, so that should be fun.

2 owners ago daily drove the truck 100 miles a day for 2 years before things went south. He ended up putting another engine in it, i guess the original one had a cracked head. But this new engine has never ran perfect. Everything was deleted when this new engine was installed I guess, or shortly after.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Oh, the EGR vacuum valve... I guess ignore that then...

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Finally dug a little deeper on the engine issues today. I seem to have found a vacuum leak under the intake manifold, so I'm going to pop it off and replace all the lines. With the live data, fuel trims were super high, MAF voltage was high (1.2v), and when i sprayed brake cleaner around the vacuum lines everything evened out.
There's also an IAC code. It has a newer iac on it that the previous owner installed. We will have to do more diag to determine if it's the IAC, wiring, or PCM.
It also has about 88psi on the fuel pressure, which is very concerning. It also leaked down to about 43 and held there when shut off. I swapped in a junkyard FPR, still high pressure but it leaks to zero pretty quickly. I'll put the old FPR back in and test again after I fix the vacuum leak.

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Nothing is so difficult it cannot be overcome by brute force and ignorance =8-)
Subscribed to find out what the problem was .

I have a 2.5L / 5 speed 2001 and the IAC valve was sticking , I removed and cleaned it and the engine runs better & smoother than ever before but it still stalls out occasionally when I come to a stop .

At hot idle the idle speed 'hunts' a bit before it stalls out .

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Subscribed to find out what the problem was .

I have a 2.5L / 5 speed 2001 and the IAC valve was sticking , I removed and cleaned it and the engine runs better & smoother than ever before but it still stalls out occasionally when I come to a stop .

At hot idle the idle speed 'hunts' a bit before it stalls out .
that certainly sounds like a vacuum leak.

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Thanx, my hearing is shot so I no longer hear the vacuum leak whistles .

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's a wonder I have any hearing left after all the noisy jobs I had, most specially the mine. I worked on one blast we were loading in 12 hour shifts around the clock for three days.

The third day we all got in the cars to go back to the shaft and back to the surface but we weren't moving.
I realized why when the guy behind me said "you'd better cover your ears"
I got home after a bit and they said "man, did you hear about that blast they had today?? It busted the water main and set off the bank alarm" and we had been over half a mile down

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Wow .

I ride Motocycles too and didn't grasp the importance of ear plugs until far too late .

As well as being a Journeyman Mechanic so loud sounds were a daily thing .

I'm pondering how to test for vacuum leaks, maybe a spray bottle of water as there's myriad hoses and what not under the intake manifold .

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think ether works too, altho it may be more prone to flare if used wrecklessly

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals