• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Camshaft Pulley Bolt Silicone?

piannyplayer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Howdy! Samuel here:

Quick question regarding camshaft pulley bolts for 2.3L 4-Cylinder engines. I recently got a new head for my 96 Ranger back from a machine shop (my old one had two major cracks sadly), and the main guy who did the work said that since the camshaft in this engine is internally pressurized with oil, I need to put silicone on the camshaft pulley bolt, or it would back out under time due to the pressure. He said it may sound counterintuitive, but that it was necessary. I was wondering, has anyone else heard of/done this, and what silicone did you use? Just normal RTV, any specific color, or something else?

Thanks!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Some of the cams have a plug up behind the bolt but I had a very serious oil leak out my cam bolt once, it was annoying one to find...

I would use THIS STUFF, it's what I did and it works good, we use a lot of it at work on fittings into engines and it's good stuff...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals