• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check Fuel Pressure - No Schrader Valve

4.0ranger05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 4.0.
I have had issues with misfires, so I replaced the coil, wires, and all plugs, but still having misfires. Reading codes po300, po301, po302, po303, po304, po316, po174, and po172. I’m trying to check the fuel pressure to see if that is part of the issue, but I don’t see any Schrader valve along my fuel rails. Is there somewhere else I need to look/am I missing something? If there really isn’t a Schrader valve how can I check the fuel pressure? Thank you! I appreciate any help you can give.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
They say you do have one. Should have a black cap on it. It can be crowded in there are hard to see.

1702327851038.png

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2001-2011 4.0l SOHC engines often didn't have the schrader valve test port

I have read that you can build a quick connect adapter to install on the fuel filter or hose in engine bay to read pressure

What you may find is this at the end of a fuel rail: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=199753&d=1501289847

It can be replaced(if you can find one), with the ones on the right in this picture: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evolutionm.net-vbulletin/2000x1504/1_345281927677f9c03772c2536cc9c1689b88b0f7.jpg

You have 2 odd codes?
P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

These are opposites, so are these correct?
If so were the O2 sensors changed recently?
If so their wires were reversed

If it was a typo and its not 172 but P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
Then these Lean codes are caused by the misfires, and are not the cause of the misfires

Did you save your old spark plugs and did you look at the tips
Spark plug tips tell you what is happening inside each cylinder
White means new spark plug or bad head gasket
Light brown is expected
Darker brown is Rich running
Blackish is very very Rich running or oil leaking in

I would do a compression test so you don't waste time and money on spark and fuel issues, if its a compression issue(slipped cam chain in this case)
Compression is mechanical so good or bad, no grey area like spark and fuel

If engine is slow to REV and runs worse at higher RPMs in general then clogged exhaust can be the issue, you can use a Vacuum gauge to test for this

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals