• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differnces between 1983-1987 TK5 4x4 transmissions

joelh99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hi, new here but not new to working on older rangers/b2s. I currently have a 1984 Bronco II XLS torn down for motor and transmission rebuild, and have run into a problem with the Tk5 transmission. It is a 4x4, and I have sourced all parts EXCEPT for the main shaft. Original Ford part number for the 1984-1986 is: E6TZ-7061-D. I cannot for the life of me find this shaft anywhere being sold, and no Ford dealerships I have called can source this part. However, I CAN find part number E6TZ-7061-G, which is for the 86 and 87 TK5.

My question is: what are the main differences between years on this transmission? The only difference that I can find for the "G" shaft is that it has a 3rd slot for a snap ring that our original shaft only has 2 slots.
Attached picture is of the Ford E6TZ-7061-G 1986-1987 TK5 4x4 main shaft. Any help is appreciated.
1000005519.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What is wrong with your original shaft? I have a TK5 out of my Bronco sitting here in my garage in a cardboard box. I have a rebuild kit, a new front input shaft with the gear on it, and a new clutch for the oddball setup for the 84.

I bought my 84 Bronco II with the trans already out of it from the previous owner. I tore it down and then decided to swap in the 5 speed out of my 86 ranger and not mess with the TK5.

joelh99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What is wrong with your original shaft? I have a TK5 out of my Bronco sitting here in my garage in a cardboard box. I have a rebuild kit, a new front input shaft with the gear on it, and a new clutch for the oddball setup for the 84.

I bought my 84 Bronco II with the trans already out of it from the previous owner. I tore it down and then decided to swap in the 5 speed out of my 86 ranger and not mess with the TK5.
My original shaft is badly worn down at the 5th/reverse gear. Had to order a new 5th/reverse gear but the sleeve is on backorder. I have a brand new clutch, slave, and flywheel all from Luk, and a new rebuild kit, so I'm set there and most everything else I can find, just not the main shaft.
1000005521.jpg
1000005522.jpg
1000005523.jpg
1000005525.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just went and looked, my smooth part on the shaft is fine, but the toothed part in your 3rd picture looks the same as yours, like whatever goes there was trying to crawl over the teeth, and probably would eventually make it.

Sounds like you are in the same situation the guy I bought my Bronco II was in. You commit yourself and buy a bunch of parts for the original trans, and then come to a roadblock. I came in and bought the whole mess, and just swapped in a later trans. It bolted right in place. It was the FM145 transmission. But I did have to get away from the older clutch slave and flywheel, and use all the stuff that came with the 1986 FM145 transmission. I put all this behind the original 2.8

joelh99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just went and looked, my smooth part on the shaft is fine, but the toothed part in your 3rd picture looks the same as yours, like whatever goes there was trying to crawl over the teeth, and probably would eventually make it.

Sounds like you are in the same situation the guy I bought my Bronco II was in. You commit yourself and buy a bunch of parts for the original trans, and then come to a roadblock. I came in and bought the whole mess, and just swapped in a later trans. It bolted right in place. It was the FM145 transmission. But I did have to get away from the older clutch slave and flywheel, and use all the stuff that came with the 1986 FM145 transmission. I put all this behind the original 2.8
Well that's a darn shame. I will have to keep on looking. Thanks for checking anyway!

mmerlinn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 & 93
Make / Model
Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
I currently have a 1984 Bronco II XLS torn down for motor and transmission rebuild, and have run into a problem with the Tk5 transmission. It is a 4x4, and I have sourced all parts EXCEPT for the main shaft. Original Ford part number for the 1984-1986 is: E6TZ-7061-D. I cannot for the life of me find this shaft anywhere being sold, and no Ford dealerships I have called can source this part. However, I CAN find part number E6TZ-7061-G, which is for the 86 and 87 TK5.
That number is wrong. No way can a 1986 part number be ORIGINAL in a 1984 vehicle.

My books tell me that E3TZ-7061-G is the original for 1984 to some 1986s (codes E67A-CA, -CB, & -CC) which was superceded by E6TZ-7061-D. 1986s with code E67A-PA and 1987s had an original part number of E6TZ-7061-G.

I cannot find anywhere that E6TZ-7061-D was ever superceded by E6TZ-7061-G.

Does that mean E6TZ-7061-G won't replace E6TZ-7061-D? No. Just means you will need to check EVERYTHING very carefully starting with the length. E3TZ-7061-G is 18" long, which is what you should have.

I might have a good used shaft if you are still needing one.

Last edited:

joelh99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
We were able to have a shaft sent in from someone in a FB group, as well as find a transmission core spare.

E3TZ-7061-G part number does not show up anywhere online, nor does it show up in our 1984 shop manual. I'm not really sure why, since the "E#" is the 80s date code for part numbers, and you'd think that for an 84 model that it would have your specified number.

E6TZ-7061-G and E6TZ-7061-D both show up online and our manuals. From what I can see online, the only difference between the two parts is that the -G has a third groove towards the rear of the shaft, while the -D only has two.

But as I said above, we were able to source a good shaft as well as a transmission case with the internals still there, not whole but enough. We will finish rebuilding once deer season is over.

Thanks for the insight and the help 👍

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals