• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally swapped out my 2001 stereo!

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tired of using the tape or FM adapter to plug in my phone. Had the bezel off to repair it as one of the 12v sockets got pushed in, and I’ve had this older Pioneer DVD head unit sitting around for a few years so figured I’d put it in the truck. Ordered a cheap harness and dash kit for $15. I think the Pioneer is nearly 10 years old, so nothing special, but does have USB which connects to my phone, and an AUX in. Have had the truck since 2014 and just haven’t had the energy to change it, lol. I use to love playing with car audio.

I have an old backup camera out of 09-10 Tahoe or Yukon my dad salvaged off a wrecked rear hatch at a body shop he worked at. May try this under the bumper and use it as a backup / additional rear-view.

Anyway, that is my recent project with the truck, perhaps update if I get the camera tested on the truck, and or other A/V changes.

Pics of it installed.
IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

And some of the soldered up harness. First pic is how I got the stereo / harness some years back.
I did similar to a Lineman's style splice / solder so they are solid connections, never been a fan of the crimp connectors. I still need to zip tie and or loom the wiring, but not totally done with the wiring if I test the camera, and just got a bypass / delay module wired in and tested to play DVD's / video after powering on, so holding off on bundling it tightly, until I'm done with that. Not necessarily pretty, but solid connections.

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4018.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals