• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi I'm new to this forum, I have a 2004 ranger Edge. not quite base but no badging anywhere to identify trim. My question is about a 5. 0 swap.

goldyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2004
Make / Model
Rangers
Transmission
Automatic
If I do a 5.0 swap, can i retain a/c and other creature comforts. any modifying of a/c box needed? header clearance? If I go with fuel injection will i need cpu and wiring from donor vehicle or can I go with aftermarket fuel and engine management , like msd ?
I have a 95 ranger 4x4 4.0 auto, frame is really bad but engine and trans works good. I like power of 4.0 so I thought this might be an easier swap. what would I need to do with trans. change tailshaft casing to 2wd. Is that possible?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You can't just change the tailshaft and make a 4x4 trans a 2wd trans or a 2wd trans a 4x4 trans. The transmission has to be torn down completely to change the necessary parts. Why not just leave the transfer case in place? That will give you a crawling gear that is handy for backing trailers up. Not sure what your front driveshaft configuration looks like, but if it's just a flange, just leave it not hooked up. Is the transfer case electric or manual shift?

goldyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2004
Make / Model
Rangers
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking I could do that. 95 Ranger has a lot of miles but is strong and clean running, not burning oil, frame is shot and I don't need 4x4 very much. If I do this swap I will swap rear axle, It is an 8.8 limited slip. 2004 has a 7.5 open carrier

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Edge was a trim level in 04. Just above base and lower than XLT. You could get them very plain or option them up pretty nicely, so you see them all over.

I thought by 04 they all had 8.8 rear axles, but maybe that was just supercab trucks. In any event, you can swap the ls axle from the 95 if you want.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals