• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hot start problem

LarryH

Reaction score
Hello, ‘02 4.0. Cold starts well, no fuel delivery shortage at 75 mph full throttle kick down. Hot start requires 3 on-off key cycles and starts well on 4th.
Doesn’t seem to clearly be a fuel pump fault. Is there temperature sensing functions and relays or switches that could cause this?
thank you!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What does the temp gauge show with key on before the "hot start"?

As far as I know there is no "high" temp/no start issue in the 4.0l computers

The key on and off 3 times rebuilds lost fuel pressure, but that is usually a symptom of hard Cold Start and loss of pressure over a few hours
Running pressure is 60psi
It should hold pressure above 30psi for many months just sitting

If you have an OBD2 reader have a look at the Computers ECT sensor degrees on cold start and then at hot start

Could be a Flooding issue as well, leaking pressure damper
It is at the end of passenger side fuel rail near the firewall, it has a vacuum hose attached, check that hose for gasoline smell or liquid gasoline

When you shut off the engine if damper was leaking then raw fuel goes into the intake via vacuum hose
Warm/hot engines are easily flooded
So no start on first crank and no fuel pressure
So key on and off builds up the pressure and engine can start
Long shot

LarryH

Reaction score
Thank you, I’ll look at that stuff. I think gauge was at normal operating temperature but I can check again.

LarryH

Reaction score
I started in on the damper idea, then discovered fuel pressure Schroeder port. Zero pressure to start up to 20 psi at third cycle, definitely bad fuel pump. Put in a new one, starts and runs great. ECT was working fine. Still don’t understand why started well cold with zero pressure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals