• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Location confusion of 2.3 Duratec PCV

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've been wanting to get to this for some time, Now when I look at various Youtube videos for the Duratec 2.3 PCV some say the PCV can only be reached if I remove the driver's fender liner. Another says I can just see it if I push away a hose. I plan to do this job this week but I'd like to have a better reference to help me. I don't want to remove the fender liner unless I really have to. Here's a question for the techies.... All the cars I've ever seen vent the crankcase through the valve cover (where servicing is easy and obvious. Why did Ford decide to put the PCV low on the engine block where it would be difficult to remove regardless of whether the fender liner has to come out?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The PCV valve is located below the intake manifold ports. You can reach it by taking the wheel off. Removing the liner isn't required, but it will give you more room. The most difficult part is removing the retaining clip that holds the PCV valve to the oil separator. Some people will remove the hose from the PCV valve, then remove the oil separator so they can see the clip and remove it. It's still difficult to remove when you have the whole assembly off the engine I really think Ford intended the clips to be replaced with the PCV valves.

As for why things are difficult to service on vehicles in general, it's because very few parts are specifically designed for a single model. This engine has been used in the Ranger, Escape, Fusion, Transit, Focus, Mazda 6/626, Tribute, Mazda 3, and other Ford/Mazda vehicles in displacements from 1.8L to 2.5L, as well as an option in barebone chassis. If you were working on the same engine in a car where it is transverse mounted the PCV valve would be behind the radiator and much easier to access, but replacing the water pump or alternator might be ridiculously difficult and could very well require the removal of the passenger side wheel and liner in some vehicles. And since engines run cleaner and modern oils are so good, it is very likely that the PCV valve is going to outlive the warranty period. And once that happens it is no longer Ford's problem.

I suppose you could make some sort of plumbing and mount a PCV valve inline in a vacuum hose and locate it in a position that is easier to access, but I haven't seen anything posted about doing it with this engine.

And if you think the PCV valve is hard to get to, be sure and check out how difficult it is to replace the coolant bypass hose or the EGR valve. I don't think you can even test the EGR valve for leaks without tilting the transmission back to gain access to it, and if someone is going to go through that much work they should just forget about testing it and replace it with a new one.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The PCV valve is located below the intake manifold ports. You can reach it by taking the wheel off. Removing the liner isn't required, but it will give you more room. The most difficult part is removing the retaining clip that holds the PCV valve to the oil separator. Some people will remove the hose from the PCV valve, then remove the oil separator so they can see the clip and remove it. It's still difficult to remove when you have the whole assembly off the engine I really think Ford intended the clips to be replaced with the PCV valves.

As for why things are difficult to service on vehicles in general, it's because very few parts are specifically designed for a single model. This engine has been used in the Ranger, Escape, Fusion, Transit, Focus, Mazda 6/626, Tribute, Mazda 3, and other Ford/Mazda vehicles in displacements from 1.8L to 2.5L, as well as an option in barebone chassis. If you were working on the same engine in a car where it is transverse mounted the PCV valve would be behind the radiator and much easier to access, but replacing the water pump or alternator might be ridiculously difficult and could very well require the removal of the passenger side wheel and liner in some vehicles. And since engines run cleaner and modern oils are so good, it is very likely that the PCV valve is going to outlive the warranty period. And once that happens it is no longer Ford's problem.

I suppose you could make some sort of plumbing and mount a PCV valve inline in a vacuum hose and locate it in a position that is easier to access, but I haven't seen anything posted about doing it with this engine.

And if you think the PCV valve is hard to get to, be sure and check out how difficult it is to replace the coolant bypass hose or the EGR valve. I don't think you can even test the EGR valve for leaks without tilting the transmission back to gain access to it, and if someone is going to go through that much work they should just forget about testing it and replace it with a new one.
Removing the wheel and the fender liner is not a big deal. Are you saying that if I do just that I have clear access to the pcv? I'm pretty sure the little clip is not going to be an issue. I see that it prys off with nothing more than a screwdriver. Taking off the intake manifold is certainly a problem as there are many bolts and all kinds of other things that have to come off with it. I'm wondering if I can replace the hose from the PCV to the intake without taking the intake off. After all the intake does curve down.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Removing the wheel and the fender liner is not a big deal. Are you saying that if I do just that I have clear access to the pcv? I'm pretty sure the little clip is not going to be an issue. I see that it prys off with nothing more than a screwdriver. Taking off the intake manifold is certainly a problem as there are many bolts and all kinds of other things that have to come off with it. I'm wondering if I can replace the hose from the PCV to the intake without taking the intake off. After all the intake does curve down.

You can pry it off with a screwdriver, but it may break. Getting at the PCV valve is mildly annoying any way you do it. The is a coolant hose and I think a wiring harness that obstructs your view. It's just a really bad view and awkward angle to access it, and that is what most of the difficulty is.

I don't know if you can get the PCV hose off without removing the intake manifold. Most of the length of the hose is solid plastic with short sections of rubber hose on each end. You can go to a good auto parts store that stocks emissions and fuel hose by the foot and cut to fit, if you need to replace those sections. The section at the PCV valve is straight. The one at the back of the intake manifold is molded at about a 45° angle. Bending regular rubber hose shouldn't be a problem there. It worked for me. I can't remember what the inner diameter of that hose is, other wise I would tell you. The hardest part is going to be removing the spring clamps on the section at the back of the intake manifold. I ended up buying spring clamp pliers and it was still difficult because the tabs are facing the firewall. I replaced the spring clamps with worm-drive clamps to make reassembly easier.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can pry it off with a screwdriver, but it may break. Getting at the PCV valve is mildly annoying any way you do it. The is a coolant hose and I think a wiring harness that obstructs your view. It's just a really bad view and awkward angle to access it, and that is what most of the difficulty is.

I don't know if you can get the PCV hose off without removing the intake manifold. Most of the length of the hose is solid plastic with short sections of rubber hose on each end. You can go to a good auto parts store that stocks emissions and fuel hose by the foot and cut to fit, if you need to replace those sections. The section at the PCV valve is straight. The one at the back of the intake manifold is molded at about a 45° angle. Bending regular rubber hose shouldn't be a problem there. It worked for me. I can't remember what the inner diameter of that hose is, other wise I would tell you. The hardest part is going to be removing the spring clamps on the section at the back of the intake manifold. I ended up buying spring clamp pliers and it was still difficult because the tabs are facing the firewall. I replaced the spring clamps with worm-drive clamps to make reassembly easier.
Is there anyone who actually sells the proper PCV hose with a bend in it or is it totally unnecessary and regular fuel hose is all that is needed? I can't find the part listed anywhere.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
bought mine from Ford last spring.
it's easier to use the correct hose because of how crowded that area is.

the part numbers for several emission hoses is the same EXCEPT FOR THE SUFFIX, THE -A OR -B ETC WILL DETERMINE WHICH HOSE YOU GET

Tube - 2.3L. | FordUS

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals