• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS front suspension ideas

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
One of my buddies has been wheeling an early Bronco since the early 90's if not earlier...said he had the same issue with the C bushings. They are fine for road and mild wheeling but when you cycle the suspension to both ends of its travel many times and they just fail quick. He and I both welded little strips of metal to the sides of the caps and radius arms to keep the bushings contained, that helped a lot but just delays the inevitable.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I have a local buddy who is an ORI dealer. I am sure he would get me a good deal on them and I know he uses them a lot in his buggy shop... but they also use coilovers a lot too.

Planning on moving the axle forward at least a couple inches. I would do more but I'm not sure I want to jump into hydro steering right away and the steering box location may cause issues. I guess I could move it though or run a different box. I am kinda worried about the driveshaft and crossmember having clearance issues if I go too far forward but maybe it won't be a big deal. The differential may end up under the frame rail anyway, I am anticipating that happening based on where it is located on my narrowed axle.
Are you driving on the street at all? Full hydro has been very nice, even compared to the hydro assist I had before

On the EB 44 I had in the RRORC explorer the arm was wristed to get around those bushing issues. It worked well, but does feel a bit trashy when you're pinning and unpinning the suspension too .

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Are you driving on the street at all? Full hydro has been very nice, even compared to the hydro assist I had before
It will probably be trailered most of the time but I am sure it will see the highway occasionally. Eventually I am sure it will have full hydro, at the moment I think that might be a bit much to bite off. I want to run it with mechanical steering for a while and get the bugs worked out.

I forgot about the wristed housings. That probably would help keep the bushings alive... I think I'd only consider that if I had no other choice but to use a 78/79 axle. The 77 and older D44 is just a blank canvas

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals