• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Static noise after install

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I installed a headunit+amp and the sound comes through ok but when there is no sound on there is an pretty loud static 'whitenoise' sound. Even with volume set to the lowest it can be on the headunit.

I am running RCA's from the headunit to the amp for signal. I used the amp on a previous vehicle and it workes. When I turn on the LPF the whitenoise is gone - so I am thinking this clears the AMP?

Does this sound like an issue with interference from my cables being run too close to each other? The RCAs are bundled with the front speaker wires till they get to the back of the cab.

Any ideas for how to trouble shoot this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does Engine on or off matter?
Could be spark or alternator "noise" if it only happens with engine on

LPF is Low Pass Filter, allows the lower frequencies to pass thru, the bass, but lowers the levels of the higher frequencies levels
So its a higher frequency "noise" you are hearing

Are the head unit and amp both ground to the same place, if not try doing that, vehicle grounds at different places are not always exactly the same, running a ground between the units, or sharing the same ground, can eliminate that type of "noise"

I wouldn't think you would get inductance noise from speaker cables adjacent to the RCA cables especially if speakers were turned down like you described

If you unplug the RCA cables and "noise" is still there then its an issue with the AMP, internal issue
OR
Its that ground issue mentioned above, the RCA cables are being used as the main ground between the two units, which causes a noise, if you add a better ground then "noise" goes away

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are your RCA cables the shielded style or the cheap ones that just have RCA plugs and the wire looks like speaker wire?

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are your RCA cables the shielded style or the cheap ones that just have RCA plugs and the wire looks like speaker wire?
They are shielded...I think. Look more than just speaker wires.

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I moved the power cable as far as I could from others (not that it was really close though).

I also moved the RCA's away from the speaker wires. And ran them as far away as I could.

I moved the ground closer to the amp.

And now no noise!! I am not sure which one 'fixed' it. Thanks for the help!

Sadly the 5x7's are just not cutting it for the lows....so I think I will need to pickup a sub. But I was kind of expecting this anyways.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was the ground, its always the ground with audio noise :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals