• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tail Light issue after LED install

perryg13

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
2007 FX4 ranger

So I installed all LEDS except side marker lights on front. I put the new EP27 flasher in to stop the hyper flash in blinker. Everything works fine when I have my headlights off. When I turn headlights on and try to use my blinker, what ever side I signal to loses the entire tail light. This only occurs when headlights are on. I don’t lose headlights but front blinker won’t flash and tail light shuts off completely.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your new bulbs are not making good contact in the edge of the sockets in the rear. The lights will act like that when they lose the ground to the bulb/socket.

perryg13

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Your new bulbs are not making good contact in the edge of the sockets in the rear. The lights will act like that when they lose the ground to the bulb/socket.
For some reason I was thinking that it was new to the side markers not being led and drawing too much current. So would you suggest that I just unplug and plug back in or?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Definitely eyeball the socket and the bulb. Your bulbs are dual filament, there will be 3 connections. 1, the brake turn filament, 2. a common ground connection and 3. the taillight or running light connection. Don't surprised too if you figure out the bulbs are bad, this stuff is made in China and doesn't work that great sometimes, even though you spent good money on them.

What happens, you use your brake or your turnsignal, the power runs to the back, runs through the brake/turn filament, and then it looks for a return path for the circuit, which should be ground. But it can't find the ground. So it makes it's own return path, going backwards up the taillight filament in the bulb, and then goes backwards up the circuit to the front and eventually finds a return path of sorts. It's probably not as bright as it should be.

Then you turn the headlights on. This puts 12v on the taillight circuit. So now the turn circuit that was running backwards up the taillight circuit, bumps head on into the 12v coming back from the taillight circuit. So no where to go, the turn/brake circuit goes dark.

perryg13

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely eyeball the socket and the bulb. Your bulbs are dual filament, there will be 3 connections. 1, the brake turn filament, 2. a common ground connection and 3. the taillight or running light connection. Don't surprised too if you figure out the bulbs are bad, this stuff is made in China and doesn't work that great sometimes, even though you spent good money on them.

What happens, you use your brake or your turnsignal, the power runs to the back, runs through the brake/turn filament, and then it looks for a return path for the circuit, which should be ground. But it can't find the ground. So it makes it's own return path, going backwards up the taillight filament in the bulb, and then goes backwards up the circuit to the front and eventually finds a return path of sorts. It's probably not as bright as it should be.

Then you turn the headlights on. This puts 12v on the taillight circuit. So now the turn circuit that was running backwards up the taillight circuit, bumps head on into the 12v coming back from the taillight circuit. So no where to go, the turn/brake circuit goes dark.
Even if they are all led’s? I’ll double check all of this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals