• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission line that goes thru radiator question 2001 ranger 3.0

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the trans fluid line does , the direction/route it takes thru the radiator, between where it goes in, and where it comes out, of the radiator.......does it just go from the top straight down to the bottom without winding thru the radiator? Or does it wind thru the rad before coming out the bottom? The reason I ask is, a tire came off a guys big truck, I hit it and went airborne over it.....it dented in pretty good my ac condenser and the radiator a little bit near the bottom.......would the dent/push in near the bottom affect the trans cool line that is in the radiator? The truck runs a little different now, still pretty good but I think my trans fluid pressure may have changed a little......its doing what it did when the trans pressure was a little high a while back.....that symptom was, if I idle for a while, a little longer than normal, when I accelerate it seems like too high rpm's for the power generated, then as I accelerate it all catches up and its fine.....maybe torque converter related when fluid pressure changes...?.....also, my extra cooler, the small one, got dinged up a little also......im hoping for a quick fix so in gonna replace the small cooler .....and I'm going to replace the radiator, soon, but im trying to resolve in my head if the slight tranny change is the small cooler dinged, or if its the trans line in the radiator pinched somehow......and like I said, radiator is just pushed in near the bottom, the fins not hit ...the bottom frame/support got hit and the bottom middle part of radiator buckled in just a little? Is the trans line down in that part of the radiator? No visible leaks....Thanks, sorry for long letter just trying to be descriptive for better understanding

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
there is a large vertical tube in that side tank, goes between the 2 ports. it is emersed in the coolant.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No
there is a large vertical tube in that side tank, goes between the 2 ports. it is emersed in the coolant.
So you're saying it goes in at the top and immediately goes straight down to the bottom..... No curves or winding thru the rad at all?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It depends on the design of the cooler, some of them are coils of tube, others are two tubes with a hollow center that goes end to end, I'm pretty sure the factory ones are coils and some aftermarket go with the two tube design...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals