• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trimming fenders

Monty35

Reaction score
I'm going to be tackling the issue of my 31's rubbing in the next week or so, but want to make sure I'm prepared to do it right.

These are the lines I plan to cut on

I dont really want to use fender flares, and my tires dont stick out past the body. What would you recommend to seal and protect the edges that will be freshly cut? I was thinking some rubber strips would fit, something in the shape of a U that could be siliconed/glued to the edges (I used them to seal the edges of vacuum tanks at work, but cannot remember the name of them). What has everyone else here used? Preferably something that looks decent, as my truck wont be getting some new paint for a couple months still.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Those lines look ok, but I'd do the front like this in addition:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166

Personally though I'd do like I did unless you really need to cut all that stuff you have outlined. DOesn't look like you need more room than that and that metal gives the fenders alot of strength. What size tires are you going with?

Monty35

Reaction score
I took a quick look over the link you posted and really like what I saw from that one picture. It reminds me of how my suspension mechanic suggested trimming just the corners of the fenders a long time ago, I really like the way it looks on yours. I'll be taking a closer look at that tomorrow.

I don't have any intention of using a tire larger than 31x10.5 for almost the next year. I've got to build my truck with college in mind as I'm starting my millwright course in march and it will be a DD. Any step up in tire size will be accompanied by a larger lift with the proper brackets.

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i trimmed mine the same place and am running 31x10.50's. it solved most of the rubbing but they rub on the rear side still on the inside tire when turning and hit a slight bump or elevation (i.e. driveways, speedbumps)...but its only at a certain point, like only partially turned...getting spacers should solve the problem without trimming...but im not positive on that, but it looks as if it would solve the problem.Josh

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals