• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What battery do you recommend?

Sworn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 FX4 Ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you deal with any temps below about -15C and you have anything more than a four cylinder, 750 CCA or better will do the job very well.
Without going outside to look, I believe I have a 650 CCA Battery right now.....

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i manage a battery store thats been in bussiness for almost 50 yrs ran by the same family and i've come to this conclusion..........some battery brands are better suited for the north some for the south.
we sell batterys built by east penn.i have a friend that runs a shop here,moved from chicago almost 10 years ago where he ran a pretty good sized repair shop,he didnt have any luck with east penn batterys up there but they work great down here.so people are going to have differnt opinions about differnt brands.
i sell a 65 series battery with 850 cca for 59.95 that in this region will smoke any interstate,exide,autozone(johnson controls-made in mexico)thats sold in this region.
what ever brand you buy a good add on is a battery tender for help in cold weather.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
I also believe in stuffing the biggest battery that will fit under the hood of my truck
If your talking about size you could be in trouble. Im sure you know this but for others putting the biggest battery that can physically fit in your truck isnt necessarily best. You could put that big ass battery in there with only 400 CCA(not that its likely to happen but its the principal) and be screwed. When going for the biggest go for the biggest CCA too.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, that really goes back to "you get what you pay for" when it comes to batteries. You also need to pay attention to reserve capacity. That's the number listed next to RC on a battery. Reserve capacity is the number minutes that the battery can supply 20 or 25 amps before being considered discharged. The reason I say 20 or 25 amps is because different manufacturers may use a lower current rating to artificially inflate their reserve capacity.

CCA and RC are really the only two numbers that should concern you when buying a battery. That, and the warranty.

bigspaceghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.sl0w
Transmission
Manual
more power

Class #31 battery. 1500cca@32deg. 1150cca@0deg. That way if alternator fails--you got a week or 2!!:icon_thumby:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have 2 of those in the bed of my truck............2300 cca,used 00 welding cable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals