• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted WTB stepside camper

Mxtlplck

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Looking for a camper shell for my 97 flairside ranger. Truck is Red but I could care less about color or condition. KC area but willing to travel just lmk where you’re at and how much you’re asking.

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Have you tried a camper shell store? Or the local junkyards?

Mxtlplck

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the site. Have you tried a camper shell store? Or the local junkyards?
Been on the hunt for 7 months now. We have 32 “local” shops that sell camper tops, no bueno. I go to a different junkyard weekly, no bueno. Marketplace is open 30% of every day. I am desperate at this point haha

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had aluminum plates bent in an "L" to mount onto the top of my flairside box rails so I could mount a full width canopy on my truck. The bonus was being able to use a half sheet of 3/4" plywood as a sliding shelf.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
D5C13E1F-3FD1-4D2F-BE0C-E55005BBF0AA.jpeg

What years would be interchangeable. I’ve seen a 01 flareside ranger with cap for cheap sale. Says bad ECM but accepting offers. Maybe he would separate. A far bit from KC , it’s in Flint Michigan.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The Ranger flareside went out of production during the 04 model year, it was originally an extra cost option but I got the one I ordered for no extra because production was ending. I wouldn't be too surprised if flareside caps went out of production years ago, too. Some aluminum cap companies will build one to your specs, they don't look as good as a fiberglass cap and they make more windnoise but they're a lot lighter if you want to pull them off at times. Good luck finding one.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Maybe they had left overs because my flairside is an 05?

@Mxtlplck
Next time i see one, i can probably grab it and let you know i have it. If you dont want it, i will just use it on my truck.

I had a black one but it didnt have the small side windows like i wanted so i sold it to another ranger flairside guy in town. My truck is red also

I see them around texas enough that one will probably show up within a few months.

Mxtlplck

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Maybe they had left overs because my flairside is an 05?

@Mxtlplck
Next time i see one, i can probably grab it and let you know i have it. If you dont want it, i will just use it on my truck.

I had a black one but it didnt have the small side windows like i wanted so i sold it to another ranger flairside guy in town. My truck is red also

I see them around texas enough that one will probably show up within a few months.
Keep me in the loop if you remember. I doubt I’ll find one for a while. Gonna make a roll bar with a bunch of loose steel tubing I have for now, but cowboy camping isn’t ideal for long term!!

Mxtlplck

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 102656
What years would be interchangeable. I’ve seen a 01 flareside ranger with cap for cheap sale. Says bad ECM but accepting offers. Maybe he would separate. A far bit from KC , it’s in Flint Michigan.
95-11 step sides (so all non-“obs” {boxy} rangers) are interchangeable, there was only 1 stepside (except the Mazda but that one’s different). So that on would work but yes an 11 hour drive is something I’ll have to ponder next few days. Thank you very much for the tip.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
...but yes an 11 hour drive is something I’ll have to ponder next few days...
I see them on FB Marketplace and I live in the NW Chicago 'burbs. TBH, I haven't seen any recently but they do pop up from time-to-time. Chicago is a little closer than Flint. So, if you're considering a drive east, you may want to keep an eye on Marketplace for northern Illinois.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals