The Ranger Station Forums

The Ranger Station Forums (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ranger Axles (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Live Axle Conversion to PVH (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132495)

mikem720 09-28-2012 11:13 AM

Live Axle Conversion to PVH

Hi,

1st post. New to the forums here.

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger with live axle front end and ABS. I want to convert to pulse vacuum hubs found on 98-00 Ranger.

Can anyone make a recommendation on exactly where to source quality new parts for this conversion? What brand and what vendor? I see these parts out there online but not sure how to avoid the cheap crap and also get exactly what I need.

Evidently what I think I need is:

1. 98-00 bearing assembies. (Has the vaccum line connection?)
2. 98-00 CV axles
3. CV snap rings (Ford?)

Now my only other question is about the ABS. The current spindle assembly has a connection for ABS sensor. I assume the new parts won't affect the existing ABS?

Thank you for your time and any recommendations or advise would be appreciated. :icon_thumby:

-Mike

Sasquatch_Ryda 09-28-2012 09:08 PM

One question......why?

adsm08 09-28-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikem720 (Post 1292388)
any recommendations or advise would be appreciated. :icon_thumby:

-Mike

I recommend that you don't do this.

The PVH system is easily the most unreliable thing Ford ever tried and you see no noticeable difference in fuel economy between the two.

4x4junkie 09-29-2012 07:01 PM

If you were to put manual hubs on it (AVM or Rugged Ridge hubs), this wouldn't be such a bad thing to do. But to use the actual factory PVH hubs is asking to be left out in the cold somewhere without 4WD when you need it most.

I would 3rd that this isn't a good idea.

triumphrider-1 09-29-2012 07:25 PM

If he wants to do it, he could also mod the outer hub so that he has the selectable option, if/when the vacuum fails. Mine has worked quite well this way. I notice a couple mpg drop if I leave my hubs locked for a tank or two.

I believe you would also need the knuckle for the conversion.

mikem720 09-29-2012 07:26 PM

I am going to put manual hubs on it.

My understanding is I need the 98-00 bearing assemblies and 98-00 axles for the conversion.

I just don't know which brand to get and from who.

-Mike

4x4junkie 09-29-2012 07:45 PM

Timken for the bearings.

As for the axles, whatever you get, make sure it was made/remanufactured here in the US. Unfortunately I'm not sure which brands to look for (maybe someone else can chime in).

Another option is to get the shafts from a junkyard donor. Chances are quite good they'll be in excellent shape (save for any aging of the rubber CV boots, which are easily replaced if the shaft is out of the vehicle), and you'll be almost assured of getting quality shafts. Most vehicles in my experience are hardly ever used in 4WD, if at all.