• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radio and/or speaker issues

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
In my 86 B2 I changed the two dash speakers to Schosche 4 inch speakers from Walmart. They are HD speakers and has a rating of 150 watts. Well I put them in and used the factory wiring to hook them up. The head unit is an old pioneer radio that I think is really junk but it plays the radio. The problem is the speakers play fine until I get to about volume 19. Once I hit volume 20 the speakers get a little scratchy then every time I turn it up louder it gets more and more scratchy. Anyone know what the issue might be? I know the speakers aren't great I just wanted something to play music but I don't know if the problem is my head unit or if possible the wires aren't rated to carry the amount of power the speakers need?? I'm at a lost I am no audio man I can hook them up but that's about it. If it is the wiring any tips on better wire to use? Thanks everyone!

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
what u need to do is get better wire and u cant run alot of base to them trust me i have them so take it put a filter in line so it dont get the base to it

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
never trust audio wiring on 20+ year old vehicles... run new wires would be a great start. a lot of the fords of that era had a factory "amp"... look around in the audio section on here, you'll find where similar stuff has been talked about before. the common answer is to start w/ new wire, which is never a bad idea on a vehicle this old and with like 30 gauge wiring! lol

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
so 30 gauge wire is what i need. ok ill try that and see what I can come up with

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so 30 gauge wire is what i need. ok ill try that and see what I can come up with

No no no. It was sarcasm about the tiny wires that ford used... I think I have 14 gauge in mine. I don't remember tho. Just get some decent speaker wire and rewire it

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl: yeah i know you were kidding I was just about to reply that I checked everywhere and cant find any 30 gauge wire :icon_twisted:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_rofl: yeah i know you were kidding I was just about to reply that I checked everywhere and cant find any 30 gauge wire :icon_twisted:
does anywhere even sale 30 gauge speaker wire??? :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals