• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need advice for feedback carburetor

huckster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1983 2.3 liter Ranger with the 4 speed manual transmission. I want to replace the carburetor, but it appears that this one is the feedback model. I live in a state where emission testing is not an issue, can I replace the carburetor with a non feedback unit? What is involved in doing this?

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I had the nonfeedback carb on my '84 2.3. No better performance, but, the idle jet was adjustable. I had to unplug the ECU. I ended up pulling that engine and puting a turbo engine in.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Using a non feedback carb will work but will mess with the computer. The computer controls the timeing electronically so if you unplug the computer no more advance = poor preformance.

Since you don't have to worry about emissions you could convert the ignition to the duraspark ll. This would allow you to get rid of the computer and the feedback carb. The duraspark disributor uses vacuum and mechanical advance. I did it on my 2.8 and wish I had done it sooner. Overall preformance is great.

The 2 links below are from the Tech Library and explain the duraspark. The 2nd is for the 2.8 but the wiring would be the same irregardless of the # of cyls.
You would need the ignition parts from a '78 2.3. The Pinto would work.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/DurasparkII.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html

Last edited:

huckster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies. This leads me to another question. In my Haynes manual it shows diagrams for both a feedback and a nonfeedback carburetor. Did some of the trucks come without the computer if they had the nonfeedback carburetor? It appears that the only difference is the feedback solenoid isn't on the nonfeedback carb?

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Yes. The computer uses the feedback carb to adjust the fuel/air mixture.

I did some checking and the '83-'84 2.3 used the duraspark ll, which doesn't use a computer or the feedback carb. But if yours has the feedback carb, it mosy likely has a computer and the TFI ignition. Check your distributor and if has a module on the side it is TFI. If it has a vacuum line on it it is duraspark.

huckster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Jorley or anyone,

I need some more help - I know that there is a box mounted by the coil on the drivers innner fender liner that says "Duraspark". I can't remember if there is a vacuum line to the carburetor, but I think there is (I can't go look at it at the moment).

There is also a larger box mounted on the inner fender liner on the passenger side that has wires and some vacuum lines running to it (at least one of the vacuum lines runs to where the smog pump used to be). What is all in this box?

I think that this truck had California emmissions on it, but can I just get rid of that stuff and go with a non feedback carburetor?

I might be asking a lot of newbie questions, but this is the first vehicle that I have done any major wrenching on - it isn't worth enough to pay someone els to work on, so it is up to me to fix it. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
You have the duraspark ignition. Since you don't have to worry about emissions you can go ahead and get rid of the feedback carb and all the emission stuff.

The only vacuum lines you need are 1 for the PVC system, 1 for the distributor , 1 for the brake booster and if you have cruise control you need one for it. Make sure to plug the vacuum lines that you don't need.

Also if you haven't yet, do a complete tune up(plugs, wires, all that good stuff).

absolutesantaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I went through the same stuff on my 1984 ranger... the computer controlled carb was a joke and was a pain to adjust. I found a 1978-79 mercury car with a L6 in it and it had the exact carb without the feedback, didn't cost me anything but a rebuild kit and it runs nice and I can adjust everything now. Like the other guy said the ignition has its own computer of sorts and its just controlled by the vacuum advance on the carb. Let me know if you have any questions about it, I had to work on just about anything electronic on mine.

Shawn

huckster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Absolutesantaja,

I do have some questions.

1. Did you leave the electric choke on the replaced carb?

2. There is a plastic box on the fender well on the passenger side by the battery. What is all in here?

3. Did your 1984 have the smog pump on it? If so, did you leave it intact?

absolutesantaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do have some questions.

1. Did you leave the electric choke on the replaced carb?

Yeah the carb i replaced it with used the same kind of electric choke so i just swapped them out... only difference was the choke wasn't rivted on the one i replaced it with

2. There is a plastic box on the fender well on the passenger side by the battery. What is all in here?

That box holds whats sorta of a computer. It was used to adjust fuel air ratios in the feedback carb as well as control EGR valve, some control valves for the smog pump system and other vacuum controlled stuff. Mine didn't have a smog pump on it and had all the wholes plugged in the manifold so i didn't bother trying to replace it. I'm planning on getting a nice high flow cat and not worrying about the rest. I'm just gonna remove that box and trace down any wire that are important but there really aren't any. All the wires for the alternator and the ignition module aren't part of those wires so you just have to trace everything down make sure you don't cut anything thats still being used.

3. Did your 1984 have the smog pump on it? If so, did you leave it intact?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals