• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throw out bearing? Help plz asap

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So the problem is when i let the clutch out (in gear or not) there's a rattling sound coming from the tranny about where the throw out bearing is. I susspect that this is the culprit but it may be due to extremly cold weather (The low was 0 F today) I've been hearing this sound for a couple weeks now, but it was allways just a little bit of a vibrating noise then it would quit after the truck had ran for about 3 mins. My tranny is leaking just enough to cover the back half of the case on the bottom but doesnt drip on the ground if you let it sit. I replaced and filled it full with fluid about 3,000 miles ago so it should be pretty full still. I first started hearing it after I replaced my headgaskets but I dont think this has anything to do with it. It is now a constant rattling and vibrating noise like the bearing is dry or busted. It also whines really bad in 1st-3rd gears and probably in 4th and 5th too but I haven't got it that fast due to the extremly poor road conditions (Snow). There isn't too much clanging around just a fast vibrating noise. What could this possibly be and what parts do you think that i would need. I think that I'm going to need a Throw out bearing, gasket kit, Fluid, and while I'm in there I might as well replace the clutch, clutch plate possibly, face the fly wheel, and replace the slave cylnder. Can you think of anything else? And what clutch do you guys reccomend for daily driver and offroad use ( Woods lanes, fields, med. to light towing?) Not SERIOUS wheeling but it see's mud on a weekly basis. Also what Transmission does this model have? It's a 1994 Ford Ranger 4x4 5 speed V-6 3.0L Manual lockouts 3.73 gears 31x9.5xR15 Timberline M/T's
Thanks, I need to get this fixed before the middle to end of next week, and I'm doing the work myself, is why I'm in a hurry.

mossyoak03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a question for you when you rev the engine does the noise get louder?

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Umm, not really, i tried that and it didnt drastically get louder. I would say that it did somewhat, but not to the same speed as the engine if that helps

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it might be a release bearing. But when you have the transmission out, remove the top cover and inspect the gears for damage, especially on the input end. Feel the input shaft for excessive floppiness. 'Cause your leak can eat up the transmission and cause knocking while the clutch is slipping as well. THE way to tell the difference is if the problem shows up in 5th but not 4th. With bad conditions, you can try it in low range, and it won't be very fast. If traction is good, leave the hubs open.

Replace the slave and clutch at the same time, unless they are in perfect condition (if they are just good, replace them).

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
every time you have a manual transmission out of a Ranger you should replace the slave cylinder. They are the weakest link in the manual transmission.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't call them the weakest link -- they really aren't anywhere near as bad as people say (150K miles on a hydraulic piston is pretty good -- you wouldn't expect more from brake calipers or wheel cylinders, for instance), but it's such a massive PITA to get them out that it's a good idea to replace them when in there, anyway.

Slaves aren't often the first thing to fail/wear out, which is why they aren't the weakest link. That would be the clutch itself. The pilot and release bearings are debatable; all these things last about the same.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wow this is going to suck it sounds like. I'm mechanically knowledgable, but i've never done anything with my transmission and I refuse to pay somone bookoo bucks just to do somthing that I can do but I will have to allow for extra time. I've got off work Thur. - Sun next week and im currently done unil monday night ( I work 3rd) so i will have some time to do it. But its going to be a PITA in a fridged barn on concrete floors with no heat. I would greatly appreciate it if somone could do a write up on the steps it takes to get the slave/clutch/bearings out. I'm going to get parts today if i get some sleap and wake up on time. my truck has 168,000 miles on it so its about time this stuff gets changed. i replaced the clutch at around 100K miles so im not thinking i need a new one, but like you guys said, just repace it when im in there or i will be dropping the tranny again. Currently the clutch isn't slipping but i have to double clutch to take off alot of times. This is probably due to the bigger tires i have on it (30x9.5xR15) when i drop the tranny should i get the Fly wheel faced off? Do you reccomend replaceing the clutch plate as well when i replace the clutch, slave, and bearings?? And what do you think i should get when i get to the parts counter? I'm not affraid to buy more then i need 'cuase i can just return it if i dont use it.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
"Someone" is called Haynes. Don't ask people to do stuff for you that you can buy.

ALWAYS get the flywheel resurfaced (or replace it with a reman -- essentially the same cost and essentially the same thing, but one less trip to the auto parts store) when changing the clutch.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I did mine I bought a new flywheel (complete with ring gear) for about $60.00 at Autozone. Getting one used and then having it resurfaced would probably cost as much or more plus the added hassle of dealing with the machine shop. Just my 2 cents.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
For $60, that wasn't a new flywheel. It was a reman. A bit on the pricey side, too. Last time I did this (on the Exploder), I spent $35 on a reman flywheel, whereas resurfacing mine would have cost $30. For flywheels, remanufacturing essentially means resurfacing, so it's not surprising at all that the cost is comparable.

A new flywheel will easily break $100. Note that flexplates are a lot cheaper, but if you're doing a clutch job, you don't have one.

Whenever you get a new cast iron wear part (such as a flywheel or brake drum), subject it to a "ring" test before leaving the store. Suspend it with a string or wire and strike it lightly with a smooth steel object like the side of a screwdriver. It should "ring." If it goes "thud," it's cracked.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAKG, I think the one I bought was new. 1) They told me it was new because I asked. 2) It definately had a new ring gear on it. 3)They had a Luk flywheel listed at 8.00 more and a Fenco for 10.00 more than mine. One of these was also listed as new in the description. Finally, 4) There was no core amount listed and no core was required. Like Monk says on TV; I could be wrong, but I don"t think so.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I took the tranny off two days ago and it was a throw out bearing that was bad. The thing was SHOT! i could grab it and wiggle it about a quarter inch side to side. i haven't put it back together yet becuase i've been gathering parts. how do you bleed the clutch on my truck? its a manual 3.0L 94 4x4. is there anything else that i need to do after/while i'm putting it together that i should know about?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals