• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck loses power while driving

Rangerman87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'88,'11
Make / Model
ford,mitsubishi
Engine Size
2.9,2.0L turbo
Transmission
Manual
What would cause the engine to lose power when I'm driving.When I punch it,there is a slight hesitation and then it picks up and does it all over again.I've replaced the IAC,plugs,intank fuel pump and filter.Would the fuel pressure regulator cause it and if so wheres it at,I'm also thinking maybe the framerail mounted pump and also what is the assembly next to it,it's round and sits horizontily.This shit is getting annoying,would the egr have anything to do with it?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

eb89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked out your ignition module? I had some problems with my truck dying while driving and then not always restarting right away and a new module fixed that. you might want to check into that. Also you might try gettin a computer diagnostic and see if any codes pop up.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
disconnecttheO2sensor

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Check codes and fuel pressure.

A plugged cat could also cause the lack of power and it would happen all of a sudden. Just run the motor at idle until warm and look at the car, they will usually glow orange or red hot if they are blocked.
Nick

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
All good suggestions.

when was the last time you had it tuned up? air filter???

you MIGHT have 2 fuel filters....1in a plastic canister just ahead of the fuel tank & 1 inline metal filter just after the frame rail FP...also on the frame rail. Usually in 87 they only had 1....but a few say they had 2 yet.

Have taken any fuel pressure readings??
pull the little vacuum line off the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)....if you have a dribble of fuel out of it... then yes.... it is shot.

check the all vacuum ports on the upper intake...to make sure they are not crusted over with carbon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals