• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger 4.0 stalls out.

stuman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Ranger 4.0 5-speed 4x4. The problem I have is the check engine light is on. when I use my code reader to find the problem it gives me a code 57, which could be three different things....

1. Neutral Pressure Switch open circuit failure.
2. circuit failed in neutral position
3. octane adjust service pin installed.

What do these reasons mean? Where do I start looking for problems?

The truck stalls out every once in a while at a stop sign. It hesitates and just dies. It starts right up again but with out a problem. I could really use some help on this one. Thank you.

TSpring3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Have you noticed any pattern to these stalls based on weather? Namely warm/hot days?

I have an identical truck and it would stall out at random times, mostly when I was going down the road at speed. Luckily it's a standard and with the transmission still engaged I didn't lose my steering.

Anyway, I had to replaced my fuel pump and EEC relays based on some information I got about them getting old and tripping a "breaker" if you will when they got too hot. Replaced both at the same time and haven't had a stall in over 2 years. Just a thought.

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
How did you get a code 57?Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought from 93 up they were strictly 3 digit codes.Thats all that is listed in my repair manual anyway.It sounds to me like your mass air sensor is giving you trouble.Thats the same thing mine did.If that turns out right spend the money for a good one.Places like advance or autozone etc selling "rebuilt" units are not good quality in my opinion.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That's correct. You read the code wrong. Please run them again and verify what number was output (and tell us whether it was KOEO, Continuous, or KOER).

stuman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1994 ford ranger 4.0 stalls

The other code I got was a 522. but the code reader manual only lists 2 digit codes. I dont have a ford repair manual .I was thinking mass air flow sensor or the AIC (air idle control) My dad replaced his AIC on his 1992 2.9 w/auto trans and it fixed it. What is a code 522? I had the key on engine off. I replaced all spark plugs and wires, thermostat,and air filter. It usually only stalls out when you push in the clutch to come to a stop. If you do come to a stop and save it from stalling then it will run fine.. It aslo has plenty of power and so forth. thanks for the help.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
OK, so you didn't get a 57 and you did get a 522? Need to verify exactly what code you got and when in order to proceed.

stuman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got the code with the key on engine off like I said before. I had another person run the test with the key on and they got a code 57 but as it was stated to me that 1994 and newer rangers use a 3 digit code, so lets go with the 522 code. I have narrowed it down to a fuel pressure regulator, mass air flow sensor or air idle control valve. What does this code 522 mean? thanks for the help

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Code 522 is Manual lever position circuit open/vehicle in gear.You get this code when you leave the transmission in gear.Anytime you run codes you have to have the vehicle either in park if automatic or neutral if manual and have everything turned off,radio,fan etc.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
522 KOEO means you had the transmission in gear when you ran the test. Should be in Park (auto) or neutral (5 speed) for all testing. Fix that, then run the tests again. If it passes, try KOER tests.

stuman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
what is the code for a faulty mass air flow sensor? I took off the MAF and cleaned it and the check engine ligt went out and the truck quit stalling at stop signs. at least it did for a about 10 miles. then it started doing it again. I am I right in thinking that a new MAF would solve the problem? Or should I do a better job cleaning it?
Again thanks for the help.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Clean the mass air first. CRC makes a mass air specific cleaner. Never use carb cleaner. Clear the codes and wait to see if they come back on. Unfortunately OBD I isn't very exact when it comes to a specific issue. I know it sounds silly but take the air filter box apart and see if there is a lot of crap under the air filter and in the intake tube. I cleaned up my engine bay this weekend and when I cleaned my filter I looked in the pan area and I swear a mouse made a nest in it.

Code 57 is actually code 157. MAF sensor circut below minimum voltage. The mass air reads the amount of air coming into the intake. It sends a signal to the computer via a voltage signal. The low voltage issue to me says the sensor wire needs cleaning. Get the CRC cleaner, spray the fine wire in the top of the MAF. Let dry naturally then clear the codes and hopefully this will work.

stuman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How do I clear the codes? I dont think my code reader will do that. I have cleaned the MAF sensor twice with brakleen, did not know there was a specific cleaner for such a thing. after 2 cleanings it seams to help but still the check engine light comes on about half the time and it stalls when you push in the clutch and roll up to a stop sign, and today when pulling a load sometimes when you give it full throttle up a hill it would cut out for a second. any other advice on what I have stated? Thank you for the help.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Even though Brakeclean is good stuff for rotors & such it will leave residue on the fine wire sensor. Used to be the stuff to use but even CRC admits Brakeclean should not be used to clean a MAF. Clean it properly then take the positive & negative cables off for about 15 minutes. That should clear OBD I codes until next time. If it occurs after this read the codes again and post them for us.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals