• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differential skid pan

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does such a thing exist? I plan on lowering my ranger with a 3" beam kit in the front and an exp axle flipped in the rear. My issue is that I live on a dirt road that has a tendency to have large rocks placed in inconvenient areas. So much so that even with a 1/4 inch thick skid pan on it, a rock managed to punch a hole in the cast oil pan of my Volvo.

So my interest in it is to keep from punching a hole in my differential on a similar when I lower my truck down

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
You could prob make one to work that bolts in the front of the diff housing, but you would need larger bolts... or just weld a peice of metal onto the arm below the diff.. any padding would help.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
But the differential won't be getting any closer to the ground. When you lower it, the springs and body will sit lower, but unless you are putting on tiny little tires, the diff will be the same distance off the ground. So if you aren't having issues as you sit already, you've got no worries mate!

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Get the grinder, welder, and steel out, and go to town my friend!

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do plan on running lower profile tires Right now I have 245 70s and I want to put probably 40 series rubber on it do the diff will be lower

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I do plan on running lower profile tires Right now I have 245 70s and I want to put probably 40 series rubber on it do the diff will be lower
Yes but total diameter is what matters that's why they are low pro not smaller.on normal tires the rubber makes up a fair chunk of the diameter. On low pros the rim makes up most of the diameter. So in reality going from average tires to low pros will not change where the diff sits relative to the ground. Now if you were going from 35's or bigger to low pros you might notice a big difference but otherwise what the previous poster said holds true.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals