The Ranger Station Forums

The Ranger Station Forums (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How big a trailer can I pull with my ranger (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90354)

LordVngr 09-01-2010 11:30 AM

How big a trailer can I pull with my ranger

Hey guys

Questions for you. I'm toying with the idea of buying a trailer to go camping with and wondering how big a trailer can I pull with my ranger.

I have a 1989 Supercab ranger 4x4 with a 5 speed 2.9 liter V6. It also has a 3.73 limited slip rearend in it. The truck has a class 3 reciever hitch on it. Finally there is a factory lift kit on it about 2 1/2 or 3 inches and a 2 inch body lift. Not sure if that matters but wanted to throw that out there.

I have 2 questions?

1 - How big of standard trailer/camper can I pull with the truck and not have any issues with it or put a undue strain on the truck.

2 - What about a 5th wheel type tralier. I see some pretty nice small 5th wheels out there. How big a 5th wheel can I reasonable pull.

My own opnion is I should beable to pull a little bit bigger 5th wheel then a regular trailer because of the weight distribution but dont know this for sure because I have no experience with pulling anything with the truck before except a small motorcycle trailer

On a side note the roof of my truck was rusting and I tried a product called Extend but the rust came right back. So I tried that product called Rust bullet. Good stuff guys. thanks for the tip.......

LV

country0001 09-01-2010 03:52 PM

I've pulled my 16' flatbed trailer w about a 2500 lb tractor on it w my B2. it was a chore, but it did it.

Never seen a 5th wheel or gooseneck on a ranger. I don't think that the rearend would hold up very well.

Not to mention that the springs are rated for less than that of a half tons.

crusin93 09-01-2010 04:29 PM

Nither have I. Really makes no sense to consider a 5th wheel when the axle is rated at 500# or something ridiclous like that. I'd call U-haul. They will tell you exactly what the truck is rated for and in what configuration, LEGALLY.

LordVngr 09-01-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by country0001 (Post 798852)
I've pulled my 16' flatbed trailer w about a 2500 lb tractor on it w my B2. it was a chore, but it did it.

Never seen a 5th wheel or gooseneck on a ranger. I don't think that the rearend would hold up very well.

Not to mention that the springs are rated for less than that of a half tons.

Hmmmm, didnt think about that. Shows how much towing experience I have. The reason I thought you could pull a bigger 5th wheel trailer then regular trailer is because all the weight is on the bed/frame of the truck and not being pulled behind. You make some valid points though and something to think about for sure. Thanks.....

LV

adsm08 09-01-2010 06:41 PM

I've pulled a 12x5 trailer that weighs +500# by itself, loaded to the gills with mostly metal shelving, on the bumper, with almost the same truck you have. You have better gears than I do.

I would NOT under any circumstances put a 5th wheel in a Ranger, even if you could find one that would fit a Ranger, one that has anything less than a V-8 and FS axles wouldn't really be able to tow anything that is heavy enough to need a 5th wheel.

97RangerXLT 09-01-2010 06:41 PM

something else to think about, your ranger will probably not have too many problems towing a camper, but you want to make sure you can stop it if you need too. a heavy trailer will push you right through an intersection if you don't have the brakes to stop it.

If it is on the heavy side and you are planning on towing it up and down hills, get a good set of trailer brakes installed.

AJ

heptofite 09-01-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusin93 (Post 798878)
Nither have I. Really makes no sense to consider a 5th wheel when the axle is rated at 500# or something ridiclous like that. I'd call U-haul. They will tell you exactly what the truck is rated for and in what configuration, LEGALLY.

no such thing as laws regarding towing weight on a ranger.

legally, you could have a gooseneck trailer hooked to your ranger with a bumper pull hooked to that, and you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

or you could have a steel coil in the bed of your truck, and again, there are no laws stopping you.

rockin86ranger 09-01-2010 07:40 PM

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?p=504078

heres a 5th wheel ranger

feellnfroggy 09-01-2010 07:41 PM

Dont ever underestimate the guesses of hte newbs. They have a right to offer input as well. Also you never know when a newb will have a point of view us complacent vets forget to think about.

Anyways back to topic. You can reasonably pull a good sized trailer, as long as you have a well maintained braking system and properly setup towing system. IE the proper electronics if your trailer has a trailer brake, correct weight distribution system your trailer is setup for it. Proper gearing, lighting, and of course the common sense to properly drive the trailer you have hitched up. Meaning knowing when to use your OD(if automatic) or 5th (if manual). Your camping trailer will be alot different than your motorcycle trailer in aerodynamics, weight, bulk, etc. Im sure you get the point. Just about any popup style camper you can pull. (with one or two of the very large exceptions) You can pull the bumper mount fullsize campers if they are a more compact size. nothing over 14 ft I would say.

You have a 5spd with 3.73's that automatically gives you an advantage over some of the older rangers with higher gears, but I would still suggest maybe investing in some 4.10's. Gander mountain has some flat trailer styles, that have the popout tents on them and are a little more room for a little less weight than popups, but allow you pack and stack more gear. (added weight of course). How far will you drive with it? How fast or slow are you willing to drive. What fuel sacrifices will you make. All these affect your trailer decisions. Just some thing to consider. BUt simply put, get something you can afford to safely drive.

robertc1024 09-01-2010 08:11 PM

Ok, boyz. I pulled out my factory original manual for my '88. Maximum gross combined weight rating (GWCr) for a 2.9 and 3.73's is 6000#'s. Trailer weight from 2000-3000 lbs. My 3.45 rear end is rated for a trailer weight of 2000#.