• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark plug socket size in the 2002 3.0L V-6

fvbridges

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have been searching for the correct plug socket size for my engine. I plan on changing my own plugs, but gave all my tools to my son and son-in-law, so I don't have one to try.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I was in doubt I'd get me a new spark plug and start inserting it into sockets until I found the correct one.. It would prolly save me some time waiting for someone else to make a post telling me what to do.
Big JIm

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
I plan on changing my own plugs, but gave all my tools to my son and son-in-law, so I don't have one to try.
That's why....

Just ran out and its a 5/8" socket.

Your welcome :icon_twisted:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LOL....

common sense....it must be lacking, eh? Sorry for the a-hole comment. I have a pet peeve of ignorant dumb people who lack the common sense of simply checking the new spark plugs socket size.

One tip...if the 3.0 is anything like the 4.0L SOHC, be prepared to use many different combos of socket, extention, and universal!! Don't forget to gap the plugs correctly and use anti-seize on the plug threads.

Last edited:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
One tip...if the 3.0 is anything like the 4.0L SOHC, be prepared to use many different combos of socket, extention, and universal!!
it is and you will haha

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Really? Mine went pretty easy. I got them all done in about an hour or so, plugs and wires and gapped. I will say one or two were a pain though not as bad as I'd have thought... all my previous vehicles were OHC so the plugs were on top.

P.S. If I recall correctly, the gap is .044"

Last edited:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
pretty much every single vehicle on the planet uses a 5/8th spark plug socket.

fvbridges

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all!!!!

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
LOL....

common sense....it must be lacking, eh? Sorry for the a-hole comment. I have a pet peeve of ignorant dumb people who lack the common sense of simply checking the new spark plugs socket size.

One tip...if the 3.0 is anything like the 4.0L SOHC, be prepared to use many different combos of socket, extention, and universal!! Don't forget to gap the plugs correctly and use anti-seize on the plug threads.
wow kinda a dlckish comment in the beginning although you do admit it. Maybe this poster isn't very computer suave like some of us or doesn't work on vehicles often.. Yes 5/8 is pretty common and the gap is .43-.44 range.

I understand someone posting a common sense thread or a redundant beat to death thread ie "how can i get more power outta my ranger dudez" but I doubt this guy browses the threads all day long (by looking at his post count) and again he could not be mechanically knowledgeable or doesn't work on vehicles often so this isn't a no-brainer.. We are all in the same community and I think we should help each other out, yea your advice is sound but you came off as an a*shole in your reply and that isn't how you want represent the community is it ?

I see this a lot on another gun forum that I'm on and i understand the annoyance but still you have to give people a chance and realize they may not have the same knowledge as you, me, or other posters.. Just my .02 on bashing new posters for what it's worth.

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
LOL....

Just to add, yea on the plugs near the firewall I often have to use extensions, swivels etc to get to the dang plugs which does get annoying but once you've done it a few times you know what you need to complete the job :icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals