• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Lone Ranger – Kage’s ’94 X-Cab Leaf SAS and Bed Bob

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just got this month's issue of 4wheel and off-road and saw your truck there. You sure you still want to sell it?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just got this month's issue of 4wheel and off-road and saw your truck there. You sure you still want to sell it?
Yeah dude you got the hot shot! Congrats!

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A bit of an update…

Its been awhile since I’ve posted an update on the state of things around here so here goes nothing.

Myself – This past year or so has really sucked as it was the first time I’ve had any major medical issues in my life (Yes I’ve been very blessed in that regard). I’m not going to go into details, but things are taken care of at this point and I’m nearly back to having the same energy levels that I had prior to becoming ill. Thanks to those who kept me in their thoughts and prayers, it was appreciated.

The Zook – The Suzuki wound up going back to where it came from. In the end, it had some title issues that were not resolved in the two months I ‘owned’ it, and the wife didn’t really care for it all that much (she preferred the Ranger). It is probably for the better as the way it was going to progress meant that it probably would have wound up being a near trailer queen. Which is not something that I want to own at this current point in my life.

The Ranger – The truck has been removed from the various classified Ad’s that I put up. In the end, it is just better to hang onto it and keep on wheeling it while fixing whatever quirks pop up.

One of the most recent quirks was that the doubler setup unbolted itself from the transmission recently. I’m not sure if the bolts loosened up and allowed the locating pin to come out, or if the locating pin worked its way out allowing the bolts to loosen up. Either way, the front plate wound up being trashed and I had to cobbled another setup together prior to an upcoming wheeling trip. Currently I am running the 4 planetary set (1350) with the 6 planetary range collar (1354). I lost the ability to use Neutral with this combination, but since its the crawl box, I don't really need it. So far so good in that regard.

When I had everything apart, I noticed that the stock bolts I had been using weren’t utilizing as much of the thread that was available on the front plate. So I swapped those bolts out for some that were 1.5” long to see if that makes a difference.

Its too early to call it, but the drive line ‘feels’ tighter than it ever has. I’ll report back on that after I have more time on it. I will say that the fix of using shorter bolts to hold the two halves of the doubler together is working fantastically.

A quick thanks goes out to Bray for letting me bounce my 'doubler problems' off him. Its nice to get a fresh set of eyes on something.

So that just about wraps everything up that’s going on now. Hopefully all the major quirks have been ironed out on the truck at this point and I’ll be able to wheel it more in 2013. Heck, I’m still hoping to make the trip down to TB at some point in the future since it didn’t work out for us this year.

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
12th Offoad Trip – 11/17/12 Flat Nasty Offroad

This was an awesome day in the woods for our group. Everything went well with minimal carnage (the worst being a Dead front DS on a YJ), and just good times with good friends. The truck performed exceptionally well the whole and handled the highway time very well (running right at 13.5 mpg’s).

The park is continuing to be improved, and there should be a true campground facility in place by late May 2013. Ron has still been ‘fluffing’ several trails so some of them can be pretty dang challenging!

A group of 7 Jeeps and one Lone Ranger spent the better part of the day running the Proving Grounds and I somehow managed to not take any photos, but here are a few photos from other people.

It felt damn good to get back on the trails….

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
glad you decided to keep the Ranger....smart wife ya got there:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

here soon you should start bouncing around dates for when you wanna hit Turkey Bay....be nice to see if we can get a nice group together for it...

l8r, John

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
glad you decided to keep the Ranger....smart wife ya got there:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

here soon you should start bouncing around dates for when you wanna hit Wishbone Ranch....be nice to see if we can get a nice group together for it...

l8r, John
Fixed it for you.

Glad she's staying in the stable and you're feeling better!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lookin good man. For the record, I'm back in the States now so communication should be more regular should you have any more ideas to ponder.

It's too late now, and this would be a sort of a band-aid, but I was also going to mention using the Right Stuff sealant between the doubler and trans. Though the sealing properties may not be necessary, it would act as an adhesive between the cases. That may not fix the core issue, but it may just be enough to keep things from working loose. Just something to keep in mind if the issue comes back up.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Good to hear you're keeping it, bud! Look forward to seeing more updates! :headbang:

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

here soon you should start bouncing around dates for when you wanna hit Turkey Bay....be nice to see if we can get a nice group together for it...

l8r, John
We'll see how it shakes out next year, but I'll poke a few folks when we have a date to go on.

Fixed it for you...
Nah, that's too much of a drive for 110 acres.

Lookin good man. For the record, I'm back in the States now so communication should be more regular should you have any more ideas to ponder.

It's too late now, and this would be a sort of a band-aid, but I was also going to mention using the Right Stuff sealant between the doubler and trans. Though the sealing properties may not be necessary, it would act as an adhesive between the cases. That may not fix the core issue, but it may just be enough to keep things from working loose. Just something to keep in mind if the issue comes back up.
I hope you got a nice tan while you were down there slacking :thefinger: Did you catch any of the Race?

I thought about using that sealer between the two halves, and if it loosens up again, I'll probably go ahead and give it a go. Hopefully the issue is resolved though.

Good to hear you're keeping it, bud! Look forward to seeing more updates! :headbang:
Will do, and thanks everyone! Happy Early Turkey Day!

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We'll see how it shakes out next year, but I'll poke a few folks when we have a date to go on.

Nah, that's too much of a drive for 110 acres.
sounds good....

and as for being "only 110 acres"...I gaurantee you can spend 2 days there EASY....

l8r, John

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals