• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

play in steering wheel

MvancE30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have some massive amount of play in my steering. It seems that the tires follow the road and will drift left and right while holding the steering wheel in the same position.

im pretty sure that link is the issue. theres play in that. So how can i fix it? i was thinking of two flat pieces of metal (like a finger splint) but i figured this might have been addressed before. I did search but being a noob, i didnt find any answers.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
try a new steering shaft from a jy that has less/no play. i need to do that too. i can probably go 1/8 turn with mine.

MvancE30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
try a new steering shaft from a jy that has less/no play. i need to do that too. i can probably go 1/8 turn with mine.
same here. what/who is jy? do you know the price off the top of your head? hoping for a cheap fix

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
what area of jersey are you from? you can try lmc truck, or pretty much all the junk yards in jersey will have them, just gotta bring yours to match up

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Jy = junk yard

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have some massive amount of play in my steering. It seems that the tires follow the road and will drift left and right while holding the steering wheel in the same position.

im pretty sure that link is the issue. theres play in that. So how can i fix it? i was thinking of two flat pieces of metal (like a finger splint) but i figured this might have been addressed before. I did search but being a noob, i didnt find any answers.
That is the rag joint. You can buy them new and they are fairly easy to replace. I don't see the reason for buying a used shaft from a junkyard and possibly having the same trouble that you already have.

MvancE30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what area of jersey are you from? you can try lmc truck, or pretty much all the junk yards in jersey will have them, just gotta bring yours to match up
ill look online for a new one but im from central nj.

what had to be done to the steering because of the lift?

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
ill look online for a new one but im from central nj.

what had to be done to the steering because of the lift?
it could be play in your steering box, there's an adjustment screw on the box itself too, i havent searched for the thread, but there's a thread here that tells step by step to adjusting it, not much to it at all.

me and a few friends are gonna go wheeling in jackson in about two weeks if you wanna joint. i'm from south brunswick

MvancE30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it could be play in your steering box, there's an adjustment screw on the box itself too, i havent searched for the thread, but there's a thread here that tells step by step to adjusting it, not much to it at all.

me and a few friends are gonna go wheeling in jackson in about two weeks if you wanna joint. i'm from south brunswick
is that yours with the stacks on ridge? and im down. ordered a new clutch last night so hopefully its here and broken in on time

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
is that yours with the stacks on ridge? and im down. ordered a new clutch last night so hopefully its here and broken in on time
no stacks for me, i think i've seen it around tho, i don't have the heart to put stacks on my truck

what clutch did you go with? i just did the m50d swap into my truck, but the clutch is chattering, so i'm gonna swap it out over the winter

oh an this is mine, you may have seen it around if your local, but i just did the washer lift and put some newISH 32's on it lol

MvancE30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no stacks for me, i think i've seen it around tho, i don't have the heart to put stacks on my truck

what clutch did you go with? i just did the m50d swap into my truck, but the clutch is chattering, so i'm gonna swap it out over the winter

oh an this is mine, you may have seen it around if your local, but i just did the washer lift and put some newISH 32's on it lol

never see it around. im near 5 points or whatever people from sb call it.

SACHS Part #K004707

hope its the right one. lol

Last edited:

whissiswheelin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I did the adjustment on my steering box a few weeks ago, easy, just loosen the nut, tighten the screw until the play stops and then tighten the nut again.

avenger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine has Really bad play as well, i saw a bolt on it with a flathead screw on it..it wouldent budge, is there a trick to it? Maybe i just missed the nut...i saw the other post on another site awhile ago.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals