• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What transmission will work best?

mindlessdrone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 85 Bronco II that I am putting a 88 302 HO into. I am putting a 3 inch body lift with a 4 inch suspension. What I need to know is, what manual transmission with 5 speed will best fit in the Bronco II? Will I need new drive shaft and will I need a new cross member or just relocate the cross member? Also any other info about it. I don't want to do any major changes or modifications if possible. Thank you for any info.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The best fitting 5 speed for a V8 will be the M5OD-R2 used in the F150. Not a bad fit, will hook up the your existing clutch hydraulics if you have them but required a fullsize t-case. Look for an NP 208 or 205 they are the smallest, mid 80's and oldeer trucks. You are guranteed driveshaft modifications and will have to move the crossmember. You should be able to move your factory one and use it again.

Matt

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've read the m5od-r2 from the f-150 with the 4.2 liter works best for shifter location and bolts up to the 302.

Richard

mindlessdrone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much, very informative. Second question, is the (ZF) about the same fit, clutch and whatnot? Sorry I forgot to say I wanted the granny first. lol

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The ZF will bolt up. I wouldn't recommend it without a bodylift of you'll be cutting a good bit of your floor.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals