• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap into 2002 Sport Trac

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
This is starting the teardown of the donor. Removal of the inner fender on the driver side was required, as the battery box was over the AC compressor. Since there is the possibility that I might rebuild the donor with ST’s original motor, both inner fenders and the core support needed to be replaced. This meant removing them prior to the drivetrain removal would make removing the drivetrain so much easier. Here is the outer fender removed on the driver side…

Here you can see the inner fender sitting on top of the AC compressor….

Here you can see the serpentine belt system and pulleys are still aligned, even though the belt has been knocked off the water pump pulley…

Here is the front clip removed (the sawzall was kind to help out on this :D)

The front core support and front half of the inner fenders….

Parts needed to go with the motor:
Altenator harness- This goes to the side of the distribution box in the corner of the firewall and driver fender. One side is the battery, the other side goes to the altenator. The altenator harness is wrapped with the battery cables and has one oval plug…

Here is the oval plug and battery cables on the battery end (cables were cut by fire dept when the accident happened)

Brake booster vacuum feed…

Throttle cable….

ECU and engine harness…

….disconnected at the 42 pin black plug located on top of the motor at the firewall next to the wiper motor..

Cruise control motor and cable….

That’s as far as I got today. Tomorrow will be a day going to get fluids and a trip to the junkyard, so not much will get done, if anything.

SVT

3-15-12
Got some work done today, but the rain moved in quick and shut progress down. I had plans to get the ST motor pulled today, but rain moved in around noon. So I got some work done on SVT...Onto the progress, more stuff to undo/remove. Driveshafts...

Trans X-member and tcase skidplate...

Trans shifter cable from trans...

Remove shifter cable from bracket on bellhousing...

Passenger motor mount nuts..

Driver side motor mount nuts...

I removed the radiator and didnt take pics, but the AC lines from the AC condensor on both sides, the driver side needs to stay with the motor, this will be re-used (runs from the AC compressor to the condensor)

Power steering pressure line runs from the pump to the rack, take it loose from the rack, it will be re-used...

Upper radiator hose...

lower radiator hose...

AC line at the evaporator. A special tool is needed, but with it only takes seconds to release the spring..

Fuel line located near the steering shaft. Again, needs a special tool similar to the one needed for the AC line, but a different size...

It's a good idea to keep a box handy to put all the nuts and bolts in. I kept every nut and bolt removed...

Now the motor is ready to come out...

And the motor is out...

Shortly after I got it out and on jackstands (I put a jackstand under each motor mount), it started to get dark and windy. I started picking up tools and getting things somewhat in order, and in less than 10 minutes, the rain came and quick. I had just enough time to get the tools picked up. Thats all for today, I had plans to get the motor pulled out of the ST today, but the rain cut my plans on that one. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

SVT

3-21-12
It's a good idea to change the trans filter while the motor/trans is out...

I also pulled the tcase off the trans so i can get the motor/trans in the engine bay. I also will be switching to the 1356 tcase that will give me 2wd and lowrange capability...

SVT

3-26-12

OK!!! Had some good progress today.I didn't get as many detailed pics as I wanted to today, but the removal is straight forward and won't go into too much detail removing the 4.0. I will cover the important things related to the v8 swap, but removal of parts is basically the same as the donor..Here is the ST with the hood off. This is the last time it will run....Under the power of the 4.0 that is...:D

Here are the radiators side by side. The original 4.0 is on the left, the 5.0 on the right. Believe it or not, the 4.0 rad with auto and a tow package is a single core radiator :shok: There is a possibility the previous owner of the ST swapped radiators, but in the condition I received it, its a single. The 5.0 is double row, and is the same size (heighth and thickness of end tanks), which means direct swap :yahoo:

Unplug the battery harness at the distribution box...

My helper. Who knew redheads were good at wrenching :shok:

Here is the altenator/low oil sensor harness...

Going....

Going....

GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The empty engine bay. Notice the motor mounts, the position of the bolt pattern...

Here is the driver side. The 4.0 mount is in place, I'm holding the 5.0 mount...

Removing the motor mount on a 4x4 equipped SALA suspension requires lowering, but not removing, the front axle housing. Near the driveshaft flange of the front axle housing is one of two bolts on the driver side that needs removed. The other is just below the motor mount, seen in the pic...

It's tight, but a shallow socket with a regular ratchet can remove the single 18mm nut holding the motor mount in place...

If you have a flex head ratchet, like I used here, it makes removal a little faster as it gives you more room...

Here is the mount removed. You can see the nut that is used to retain the mount in place....

Here is the 5.0 mount in place...

And this is where the bad news starts....For my viewers anyway. My battery died on my phone, so the pics end here. The passenger side is slightly easier. There is one bolt holding the passenger side axle housing in place, located right below the motor mount. There is an access through the framerail right above the halfshaft. I used an 18mm deepwell socket with a 6" extension and a flex head ratchet, but a regular ratchet can be used. With both motor mounts swapped, I took some measurements and compared them to the measurements from the donor's mounts. The measurements were the same :yahoo: I also measured from the motor mounts to the firewall on both sides on both the donor and the ST. What do you know, again, the measurements match up. It's looking like this will be a 100% bolt in swap. With the motor out, I wanted to do some past due scheduled maintenance (fuel filter) I got the old one out, only to find out that the replacement filter was the wrong diameter size. The replacement filter was about 2/3 the size of the original. Didn't think nothing of it, since it has two inlets, one 3/8 and the other 1/4, and one outlet (3/8), until I tried to hook up the engine side. The engine side uses 1/4 size line, the filter housing was 3/8...A quick look at the part numbers at both the box and the new filter, both were different numbers. It appears the filter was either swapped by mistake, or someone wanted to pull a prank...Either way, I was down for now. With the 4.0 out of the way, the 5.0 was now ready for its new home. With the motor and trans attached together and complete, it they went. Things were going good til I got the crank near the core support. Then I remembered when I did SVT's V8 swap I had to remove the upper intake to get the motor in, and had said the motor and trans needs to be separated to be installed. Well, looks like I'm taking another upper intake off to install. Seeing how this is the third ranger V8 swap I've done personally, and all 3 I had the trans connected to the motor and all 3 had to have the upper intake removed, you would think I would remember this, especially since I just did a ranger V8 swap barely a month ago!! Anyways, with the motor in the engine bay, the motor mount plates are sitting on the mounts like they are suppose to. The valve covers are right up against the firewall, and between the water pump pulley and the condensor (condensor was not removed for engine removal/installation, only the radiator and fan blade) there is between 6-8 inches, maybe more. Looks like I will be able to use the 5.0 rad with the stock mechanical fan:yahoo: I haven't measured, but a quick look at the trans mount looks like it will fall in the stock location, so no trans mount mods needed. Once I got the motor on its mounts, I called it a day. Tomorrow I will get pics of the motor in place and the rest of the install. I had pudding face BIG TIME once the V8 was in!!!
Here is a pic of the oil filter housing Ford used on the non-oil cooler 5.0 engines...

And here is a pic of the oil adapter housing used on the 2.9L engines....

Are you following what I'm thinking?? But why would you ask I swap em out?? Ford swapped all explorer 5.0 motors to the 820S style filters which are smaller than the FL1A filters used on previous 5.0's. Also, when I bought the oil filter relocation kit from TransDapt for SVT, I had the straight block adapter left over since TTB rangers need the 90* block adapter. I plan to get another dual filter housing and a couple of lines and going with a dual filter setup. Also, some EFI 5.8 motors had the sandwich style oil coolers, which I could also install between the adapter housing and the relocation block adapter. This gives me some options. I still need to mount my additional trans cooler next to the stock location cooler, as well as install my external trans oil filter... Enjoy and stay tuned for the upgrades...

SVT

3-27-12

Got some more stuff done today, but I had a bunch of interruptions and didn't get as much done as I'd hoped. I started with the electrical under the hood. Mainly the altenator harness. The altenator charging circuit is slightly different from the donor to the ST. Here you can see the ST 4.0 altenator harness. Power goes from the altenator to the power distibution block located on the driver side firewall, crimped to the same terminal is the wire that goes to the battery, and from the battery to the starter...

Here is the section removed from the 4.0 harness that will be re-used. Notice the two fuse links at the end of one of the cables? The other side of the fuse links goes to the altenator output...

This is the explorer 5.0's altenator harness end, notice the altenator output is not tied to the battery side...

....This is why. The explorer's circuit uses a high amp fuse rather than the fuse links the ST uses....

After finding the correct length, I cut the altenator cable and soldered the fuse links to the altenator cable, therefore combining the ST end with the explorer altenator end...

Here is the finished product, complete with heat shrink with the sealing glue inside...

The cable ends made up with eyelets crimped on. I prefer to solder the cables into the eyelets/battery lugs, but I didn't have any way to heat up the solder...

And the finished battery cables....

The ST altenator harness has the AC high pressure switch circuit along with the low oil sender circuit. The explorer has the high pressure switch circuit in the fenderwell harness. The reason is on the 4.0, the ST has the high pressure switch is on the back of the AC compressor...

The 5.0 explorer has the switch in the high pressure line, near the condensor...

Here are the pressure switch wires that are in the altenator harness. The red/yellow and black/white wires is the circuit, however the black/white is shared by another circuit(ground side), and is in the plug. Only the red/yellow wire is missing from the 5.0 harness. I haven't yet, but later I will use the 4.0 harness plug (since the plug itself has the provision for the wire, all remaining unused pins are sealed/not drilled through the plug) and just re-pin the plug...

Here is the clearance between the radiator and the water pump shaft....

...and the clearance with the stock mechanical fan in place. There is a little better than 3/4" clearance at the top of the clutch blade (the trans is still not mounted and is sitting a couple inches low, so when the trans gets mounted, it will level out the clutch blades to radiator)....

Here is the fan shrouds, on the left is the 5.0, the right the 4.0. Notice the cutout on the right shroud for the single row radiator. It will not fit the 2 row rad, so the donor shroud is used...

Here is the shroud in place. Looks like it came from Ford this way. For now, I will run this setup. Later I plan to swap to an electric fan to improve fuel economy...

Here is the heater control valve. It is designed so when you turn on the heat from the climate control panel, it opens allowing hot water to travel from the engine to the heater core. These are known to leak and is only one more moving part to fail. I simply and easily removed this out of the system. The heater hose coming into the valve was removed and placed directly onto the heater core. There is a vacuum line coming from the cab to operate the valve. I would just plug this line off, however the previous owner already removed the valve from service and plugged the line...

The power steering return line from the ST is a little short from reaching the reservoir, so the donor return line is used....

The front bumper is removed, but not necessary for the swap. I chose to make a simple upgrade while I performed this swap. I am adding a second trans cooler as I have two spare stock coolers. I'm going to add one next to the stock location on the right...

Here is the second cooler mounted in place...

Wait a minute, why does this look different, I thought they were the same coolers...This is why. The ST cooler has a 2" mounting plate under the cooler, lifting the cooler up higher to get more airflow....

Here is the cooler I added...

I decided for the time being to leave it like this. Later I will modify the bracket to lift up the cooler. Here is the oil filter housing I will be using for my external trans filter. I wanted to install the filter on the hot side of the trans line (before the coolers), but I would have had to cut the trans line coming from the trans, as its one continuous line from the trans to the radiator. So I put it after all the coolers...

I mounted the filter housing to the lower front core support for ease of changing. It's high enough to be safe from obstacles should they arrive, and easy enough to reach. Here is the filter and coolers mounted and plumbed ready for action...

I didn't get any pics and didn't cover it, but the upper intake is back on the motor. The gasket was not damaged when the upper intake plenum was removed, so it was re-used to save some coin. It's only 6 bolts and is straight forward. Tomorrow I will get a couple pics of it and show the location of the bolts. Only thing left under the hood is the throttle cable and the engine to firewall ground. Stay tuned as tomorrow I will cover installing a low range tcase. Should be starting it for the first time tomorrow...

SVT

3-28-12

Along the fenderwell behind the ABS pump the harness is attached to the inner fender by a bolt. I unbolted the tab securing the harness to give me the needed slack. This was temporary as I had intentions of making an extension plug to give me the necessary slack (More on this later)...

Here is what the throttle cable looks like that passes through the firewall. There are two clips 180* from each other that release the cable and allow it to be removed...

Here is the 5.0 cable installed..

After some trial and error I found out the 1356 tcase I intended on using will not fit the wider explorer framerail like I thought, so I had to resort to using the stock explorer 5.0 AWD case, the 4404. For now I will not install the front shaft and just have rear drive. I will source the much larger 4406 and swap that in. The good news is the the trans cross member is a bolt in swap, no mods were needed...

The 4404 tcase is about 1.25 inches longer than the 1354, but the V8 trans is 1.5 inches shorter than the ranger trans, so my driveshaft fit with no mods. The one thing I did have to do was swap tcase output flanges. For some reason my tcase, which was not the original ST's case, was swapped out at some point in its life for a smaller flange. I either had to swap out driveshaft flanges, or swap out the output flange on the tcase. One nut and 30 seconds later, the flange was swapped. Here is the 4404 flange on the right, the 1354 flange on the left. Both share the same size and spline count, so they were swapped...

3-31-12

Okay, so as ya'll know, its running. But lets take a look at what it took to get there. Since I like detail, here is how to take a plug apart to release the pins for removing/installing pins. First, take the cap off. There are clips on each corner...

Then pull out the lock tabs....

This plug has 3 individual locking tabs. Take out all 3..

Here is what the plug looks like with the lock tabs removed. If you look closely, each pin has a small lock tab that can be pryed away from the pin, releasing it...

Here I am releasing the lock to release the pin. If the lock tab was in place, the lock for the pin would not be able to released...

While holding the lock away from the pin, pull the pin out from the back side...

Since I am extending the harness so the 42 pin plug will reach, and look like it came from the factory like that, I had to cut and splice quite a few wires. I could have taken and used crimp style connectors, but they would have not been a secure connection. I chose to solder and heat shrink each and every connection. Here is how to make a good tight secure solder.
Before you start the process of soldering, start by putting your heat shrink tubing on the wire and slide it down at least 8-10 inches, or as far away from the solder joint as possible...

Take the two wires to be soldered together and strip them back about 1/2"....

Push the wires together until they are touching the opposite wire's insulation, where they are somewhat weaved together, like this....

Then, take a piece of solder and wrap it around the bare section of wire, wrapping it tightly. This makes the solder joint nice and tight and neat...

Then, take the solder gun and with the solder gun at temp, touch the joint to be soldered. Within seconds, the solder that you wrapped around the joint will melt and flow through the wires, soldering the wires together....

After the joint is soldered, slide the heat shrink over the joint and apply heat. Be sure to overlap the joint on each side to protect the joint...

Here I am about 2.5 hours into extending my harness, about half way done...

And here is the harness completely extended...

Here is the original 42 pin harness plug with about 10" of wire left. Since I had the 5.0 donor's plug, I cut off the plug with about 20" of pigtail. In doing this, instead of cutting and adding wire to an existing circuit and having two solder joints, I cut the original harness at 10" long, leaving me 10" of additional wire, thereby extending my harness by 10"...

I've got most of the harness wrapped back up in the original wire loom. Tomorrow it will be done, hopefully by noon. After I get everything back in place, I need to check for leaks and fluid levels. Here is where I called it a day. The sun went down and the mosquitos starting coming early (At least something finds me sweet :D)

4-1-12

Swap is now officially complete. I'd say it took me maybe 1.5 to 2 hours today to finish, if only those damn mosquitos would have stayed away...Oh well. Here is the engine bay with the harness finished and in place...

Tomorrow ST is getting exhaust, I'll get a vid of what she sounds like :icon_thumby:

8-26-12

One of the most important components to allow the speedo to work is the G force transducer, which basically tells the ECU how hard the vehicle is braking. The Trac does not have this, but the donor does. It's located on the frame rail just under the driver side front door. This is what it looks like...

The reason is the path the Vehicle speed sensor takes. In the Trac it goes from the VSS in the rear axle to the ECU, and a signal gets sent to the ABS pump/module and the instrument cluster. The donor works slightly differently, as it goes from the VSS in the rear axle up to the ABS module. The ABS module in conjunction with the transducer then sends the adjusted signal to the ECU, which then gets sent to the instrument cluster for speedo operation. There are three wires on the transducer that need to be hard wired into the Trac. The orange/black wire ties into the ABS module pin 14, which is black/orange...

After this connection was soldered, it was covered with heat shrink...

From this point I had to remove a pin from the plug, so here is how to dismantle the ABS plug. Using a small flat screwdriver remove the endcap on the plug..

Here you can see the release tabs holding the pins in place...

The yellow wire connects to pin 13 which is the brake pressure switch going to the ECU. This wire is no longer used and was removed from the ABS module plug, which is a black/white. The orange/white goes to pin 1, there is no pin in this location, so one had to be added. I grabbed a pin from another ABS plug from the junkyard. Pin 19 on the ABS module, gets spliced into pin 32 on the grey firewall connector to tie the new VSS output into the speedo and cruise circuits...(Bad pic with no closeup, but this is the location of the grey plug, they both appear black, but thats just the cover, you can see the color of the plugs when looking at them at an angle)

Rather than drilling and locating the transducer in the factory location, I chose to make the mounting and routing wires easy on me and mounted it just behind the battery on the inner fenderwell. Notice the arrow? This must face forward, and the sensor must be level. Well, after this was done, I took it for a test drive, and both my speedo and cruise control now works as it did...

I also noticed a big improvement in the way my transmission shifts, as well as about a 2 to 3 mpg improvement in fuel mileage. This is due to the ECU now being able to detect speed and correct shift points as well as engage to torque convertor lockup at speeds over 45 mph, which is what my ECU has been programmed for in my custom tune.
SVT

brandon00733

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
help with the v8 5.0

Hi,
Thank you for the post.. if you have time can you help me with some questions on the wiring.

on the 2002 st it looks like it already has the fuse link in the correct spot just need to extent and replace the ends with the doner cables to reach the alternator. Is That correct..

On the main wiring harness when extending the cable is it a one for one ( red w/ white to red w/white on doner veh harnes)..

and which wires do i need to add to the connector.

after all said and done will all gages work properly?

Very good post and thank you for all the pics...

Thank you,
Jon

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
There's a good chance the 4.0 alternator harness will fit. The starter harness will need to be extended. The extension as far as matching colors will depend on how close the donor plug is to your vehicle. The only pins you need to add are the ones for the abs module/speedo. All gauges work after the swap. I'm in the middle of another V8 trac swap as we speak...

SVT

brandon00733

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Security system

Hi have another question on the 2002 ST is there a chip in the
Ignition key? If so should there be any problem stitching the doner
To the 2002 St !
Thank you
Jon
t's coming a long way !!'

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, there's a chip in the key. I deleted pats in my tune using SCT. I'm doing another V8 sport trac swap as we speak, and I'll be using a working pats system on this, which will require reprogramming...

SVT

brandon00733

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Pats problem

What's the best way to get around the pats. The rebuilt motor and trans is getting ready to go in and now I need to figure out what to do with the pats issues. Is the reprogramming done by dealer?

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The ecu has to be reprogrammed, the pats from the donor needs to be installed, or you need to run a non pats ecu, those are your choices...

SVT

brandon00733

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
starting the truck

Ok have a few more question to run by you. I have the motor in and the start harness modified just like in the post. We tried to turn it over. We have power to the truck can hear the relay clicking. However, we aren't getting a signal to the starter harness connector on the truck side. Also the fuel pump we can't hear it running. On the instrument panel no security lights (pats) are coming on. Also the oil pressure gauge is going directly to center. Is this normal for the oil pressure gauge? Is there something missing that you can think of? We are this far and only a few minor problems we are working on.. thankl you for you time..

Jon

Giant97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the write up. Plan on doing this my summer.
Can I use my existing transfer case or do I need it from the donor? Is it the TC or Transmission that determines if its AWD or 4WD? Thanks

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You can use youre existing tcase, but you'll need an adapter from advance adapters. The tcase determines awd/4wd

SVT

Giant97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A few more questions and thoughts.
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer AWD. I have been unable to find the PATS on this vehicle. I've pretty much ripped out everything except the dash. From what I've read it should be behind the glove box/airbag area. Any idea where it might be located.

Also why not re-use the 4.0 cable from the computer to the pigtail and just splice wires/change pinouts on that since it should be long enough for the 5.0 swap? I would think if you get the pin outs for the 4.0 computer and match up to the 5.0 computer you should be able to make it much easier.

dennison

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford sport trac
Transmission
Automatic
hi my name is mark i wired in the transduser from donor mounted is level and faceing forward still no speedo what else can i do?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
this is the thread you mentioned?

"" The yellow wire connects to pin 13 which is the brake pressure switch going to the ECU. This wire is no longer used and was removed from the ABS module plug, which is a black/white. The orange/white goes to pin 1, there is no pin in this location, so one had to be added. I grabbed a pin from another ABS plug from the junkyard. Pin 19 on the ABS module, gets spliced into pin 32 on the grey firewall connector to tie the new VSS output into the speedo and cruise circuits...(Bad pic with no closeup, but this is the location of the grey plug, they both appear black, but thats just the cover, you can see the color of the plugs when looking at them at an angle) ""

what do you not understand here?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals